SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Clarifying the Intentions and Expectations of the Zombeez Game Jam Locked

A topic by shy created 17 days ago Views: 97 Replies: 1
This topic was locked by Fan Studio 17 days ago
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+2)

The impression I’m getting with this “game jam” is that your programmer left your team, and you want to audition someone else to replace them, to turn your pre-existing work and IP on a failing team into something you can still sell. You don’t even seem to care what people make, as long as it uses some of your artwork and ideas. But then, why isn’t there a salary aspect to this, only revshare? Why are you pretending that this game jam and the “rewards” aren’t just crowdsourced damage control for your team?

It feels like you’re using this game jam for some kind of roundabout job applications, and that’s actually pretty underhanded. I’d expect the quality of people willing to work with you after the jam to be much lower than if you were honest about what you want and what’s going on here. The art looks good, but dropping a new designer/programmer/team into your project with no knowledge of what you were planning or what the assets were for (and then expecting them to understand everything and solve all your design issues in two weeks!), it’s just rubbing me the wrong way. It speaks to laziness and indifference, and a lack of faith in your ideas. Just trying to make money on what is left over, from a project that didn’t make it.

You might as well just sell an asset pack if this is how you feel. The revshare thing for the winner is just zany. Paying 10% (only on a successful release!) to the people who made your game work is undervaluing their game design IP so much that I’d be worried you’d just steal my ideas if I said no. Any developer worth their salt could take their IP out of this jam and commission someone else to do the final art for much less. And they probably should, because having basic faith in your project and ideas is a necessary minimum for them to see the light of day.

I don’t mean to be overly harsh in what is probably a tough time for your team, but I do not think this game jam is going to go the way you want it to. This just isn’t what game jams are for.

Host (1 edit) (-2)

Hey shy,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We understand your concerns, and we want to clarify a few things that have been discussed before.

Firstly, the project has never seen the light of day, and we don’t expect someone to create a fully polished game in just two weeks. The goal of the game jam is to inspire creativity and see what unique ideas can come from it. We’re offering a prize to the best creative idea, not a finished game.

The revenue share is simply a bonus if both the winner and we decide to embark on a longer journey together. This would involve redoing everything from scratch, with the winner consulting with us and deciding on various implementations. The 10% is just the starting point, and there’s room for negotiation based on the collaboration.

Yes, participants do have the choice to take their ideas out of this jam and use different graphics if they prefer. We receive so many ideas every day that it would take another lifetime to steal all of them—trust me, that’s the last thing we’re interested in!

We’re here to foster creativity and collaboration, and we hope to see some fantastic ideas come to life through this jam.

Cheers!

Host locked this topic