Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Proven dev team looking for 2D artist & Musician + Devlog

A topic by Mandelbrot Studios created Jul 24, 2020 Views: 572 Replies: 22
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted

We are a development team from Germany and are looking for people from anywhere to join our team. We are looking for a 2D Artist & Musician. We are one programmer and one game designer with our musician on vacation.

We’ve already participated in a game jam before and you can take a look at our game here. We all have experience in our fields and are looking for individuals who can showcase some of their previous work. You don’t need to be an expert in your field, but you should at least have some experience.

We are making the game with a custom engine, and are able to implement assets, so you don’t have to worry about that. We also plan on making a devlog of the game jam, which we want to upload to our not-yet-existent YouTube channel. You don’t need to show your face or say anything. You can be fully anonymous if you want. We’ll also cover the game on the Dr Pixel Plays YT channel, similar to our previous jam game.

You should also be mature enough to work in a team.

You should have something to showcase your skill.

You should speak English fluently.

You can contact us via discord:  Dr Pixel Plays#9463

Or reply to this thread.

(1 edit)

What art style are you guys going for? I can do some pixel art and I know how to use FL studio for music. Do you just need a looping sound track or self created sound effects and such? I am also a game designer/programmer kinda starting out but have mostly been using game maker studio 2. I am very good with working with people and speak fluent english and have a lot of free time. I also have some skill in animating, but still mostly pixel work. 32x32 or 64x64 size but am willing to try bigger but theres only a week for the jam so smaller might get better results

Submitted

We are still looking for an artist and musician to join us for the Jam.

(1 edit)

Good morning/afternoon,

I'm an amateur concept artist that is looking for opportunitties to help, improve the quality of my work and learn a lot from the experience. I would like to help you on this project! 

Please feel free to look my artstation page( where I post my artwork): https://www.artstation.com/darienvelasquez

Have in mind that I have no experience on game development and the experience I have on videogames is helping on doing concept art for a modding team. So I'll have to put more effort than probably most of the people here to learn as much as I can to be useful! 

Submitted

Concept art is really cool. I wish I could draw like that. Just putting a vision down on paper is really fascinating.

Well, but for a game jam game it's kinda overkill. Concept art is more something you do behind the scenes, or put into art books, or menu screens, or social media posts. There aren't many opportunities in a game jam game for concept art.

But I think what might work is using it for a title screen. I need to discuss this with our team further, whether we can actually have meaningful work for you. In the idea finding phase it's cool to have concept art, but for games jams it's a bit over the top.

Another thing is that we don't want the team size to explode. It's difficult managing a game dev team and the more people you have the harder it is to discuss things with the entire team.

Let's keep in touch and see what we can work out? Just hit me up on Discord. Dr Pixel Plays#9463

What type of art? Pixel art or non-pixel art?

Submitted

We can basically work with any 2D art style, as we can render any .png image with our engine.  In the end, it depends on how much art you can produce in your style and the type of game we are going to make.  Just show some of your work and we can judge it.

I think, though, that a more 'gamey' art style is better for game jam games, as it allows you to produce more assets and polish them more, so you get a cool little gaming experience. I'm thinking, pixel art or cartoon. But other styles could work as well. 

wait should i show you something that I draw or code?

Submitted

Yeah, you could show us something that you draw. We already have a programmer.

ok, here:                      , or this:         

Submitted

Do you have experience animating as well? We probably need some character and enemy animations and so on. I'm also not sure if your art style would be the best. It's a bit too simple and playful. Do you have something a bit more polished?

I don't have too much experience animating, plus the program i'm using, well, you can't animate. But I started digital art a few weeks ago, i'm not that good.

Maybe I can try pixel art we'll see how that goes. I'll try and draw a 32x32 simple character.

Here, I drew a little character using pixilart.com:     (Oof its a little small tiny XD)

Submitted

I'm sorry but we already found someone who will do the pixel art for us.

Your pixel character is not bad for someone starting out. But I don't think you can do animations and all the other more complex art that we probably need.

I wish you  good luck with your art! Keep at it and I'm sure you can get somewhere.

ok, thanks. :(

Submitted

Hi, I'm a Sound Designer and Composer, and I'd be interested in working with you if you're still looking for someone.

You can hear some Sound Design work here: https://vimeo.com/435880272

You can hear some music here: https://soundcloud.com/user-386303080/memento-who-are-you-main-theme/s-WIqhHjyYE...

Let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Submitted

That's great!

The other musician we talked to is going to go on holidays, and our main musician is on vacation. So we still need someone for the jam.

Your sound design work sounds solid! I really want to get that game sound right. Just some good sounds can make a game feel so much more satisfying. Game sounds are a bit different form other sounds, as you don't need to aim for realism, but I heard you made some game sounds as well. I could enthuse about this for hours from a design perspective.

That you can do music as well is great. Having one guy to do both things keeps the team size down. The one track you shared is great for a game jam.  Maybe the style is a bit too calm for a game, but this depends on the game of course. I'm thinking about making a game with awesome mechanics and then adding some cool or epic music to it. I'm sure we can make something work.

Hit me up on Discord Dr Pixel Plays#9463. We can discuss things from there.

yo i make music https://soundcloud.com/n-a-m-e-l-e-s-s-556099779/hopeful-chills, if you need any help with that i can make you some free music

Submitted

We are already in the talks with a musician, but if this doesn't work out for a reason, we will get back to you. Your music sounds good.

cool thanks

Submitted

I am a programmer with 2 years of experience, I can do lightweight and optimized programming! I can show you my current project for proof.

I will love to work with you! :)

Submitted

Our team is complete! We aren't looking for more people. 

We wish you good luck with the game jam nonetheless.