Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Anyone have suggestions?

A topic by IsaacTRC created Jul 26, 2020 Views: 480 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 11

As this is my first ever Game Jam and I am relatively new to coding, I could do with some suggestions, even just what code/unity tutorials to watch and whether to do 2D or 3D, and if 3D, then first or third person?

I am thinking probably 2D with no gravity, or a top-down game, as that is probably easiest to code.

I Don’t know I’m in my first jam too and my coding sucks, but if you are making an pixeled game I recommend to check out piskel

Piskel is a google page so you don’t have to download anything (but you do have to download the . png  picture or zip or whatever works)

https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjjv-S5nOzqAhUHbKwKHbVgAR0QjBAwAXoECAcQAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.piskelapp.com%2Fp%2Fcreate&usg=AOvVaw0lfrB66aVh-sEp7FKQXdZ-

I probably will use pixels now, as my paint skills aren't exactly brilliant.

Deleted 3 years ago

I was going to do that, but I have movement and looking around done in 3D already, going to do jumping and picking things up tomorrow, also maybe respawning when you fall off the map.

Wow, this has more views than my most recent three YouTube videos put together.

2d topdown farmer

For a beginner, 2D is easier than 3D. Check out some of these 2D tutorials in Unity.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesplusjames

2D is definitely the right choice for beginners(like me :)) since polished 3D art is much more harder to make than  2D sprites. And in my 1 year unity experience, I've found that 3D character controllers are generally more complex than 2D character controllers.

Rip, guess spending the last few days getting a working 3D character controller was a waste then, I will research the easiest way to make a 2D character controller and then wait until the theme is announced

If you use 2d (as i am using and recommend as 3d is much more complicated) then i think you should check brackeys' (only for unity engine)  youtube channel, which has everything for making games.  I definitely recommend it. For art you may use GIMP( i use it) as an photoshop alternative and for pixel art you can use Piskel here as mentioned in an above comment. Btw brackeys also has a video on top down shooting and movement.

Already watch Brackeys, otherwise how would I be here? Also I use unity, found out about it from a YT channel called Sam Hogan, and I will look into the GIMP thing, thanks for the advice.

I do use Paint, but then, that is probably the worst (although it is supposedly better than Photoshop)

Deleted post
(2 edits)

Please could I join then? I am quite good with pixel art or material design, I am also good at learning the coding I need.

Yes, I use unity.

Edit: I sent you a friend request on discord, I am Isaac TRC#8388

Also, how many people are in your team? The rules recommend up to 4.

Deleted post

Hey there 

dont worry if this is your first game jam 

All i know is that if you participate in this jam especially a ranked one your CONFIDENCE will boost by a lot 

whether you are making 3D games or 2D games

its always fun to participate even if you dont know anything 

this helps to boost your confidence

Thanks

*Clicks like button that isn't there