Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Two ideas for Future Speedgames

A topic by GamesForFun created Jul 03, 2018 Views: 91
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted

I already made separate topic regarding giving some guidelines to voters, but i also had two ideas that could be good to have in future speedgames.

First of all, I liked quite much how this itch.io worked. It was quite handy in organising this all, and i suppose it was very handy and effortless for Kris too compared to old systems.

It was very good to see the actual voting results, since they were able to reveal something. Like Burnerknight was only one who reported me about the crash bug, yet having stability of only 2, i suppose this happened with others computers then as well. And without seeing this vote result, i wouldnt know about it.

The first idea that I am having is that we could do so in future, that we would in some way put to those games the time it took to complete the game.

I am not after that everyone marks their time, but what I am after is that I guess one of the things that could be scaring potential voters away, is, that they dont know how long the game takes. I personally was for example saving "hope" for last, since based upon Dougs devblog posts, it sounded like it was going to take two hours to complete, when it was more of 20 minutes in reality, with thorough checking of every place already.

Also, sometimes I would have had that couple of minutes that i could have used to check for example "follower" or "envoy" but since i didnt know they were so short, i didnt play anything during that time.

Therefore, I am suggesting that from us who participate in speedgames, and play others games, that maybe 3 first to play a game, would mark how long it took for them to test that game.

That way rest of the people would have some idea how long it might take to test it out. I believe this would make voting easier.

Second idea has partially to do with solution to christian message problem too that I am talking in that other topic about categories.

For one thing that i have been looking down have been the txt file that actually the game rules even state that you should make. I have so far always thought them only as having isntructions on how to play and that being the only use for them, and since i have made my games to have instructions inside the game itself, i havent usually made those textfiles, like i didnt this year either.

It is even more because if you start writing there any more than that, then you basically need to first complete your game, before you can write those things, and on last day it usually tends to be that you are adding one more last feature rather than writing txt file that doesnt in the end affect your game at all.

BUT, now that i realised that chrsitian message part and other categories possibly having problems too, it came to my mind that actually having that textfile could be used to explain for example how did you out that christian message in your game. Because now many people missed how message was put in many of the games. Like Burner Knight told in reply to me, "ah, now that you explained it, i can see how they all are in there".

I am actually thinking that i should have had two textfiles, readmefirst.txt and readmeaftergame.txt. In that redameaftergame i would have revealed all about the message, as the story was such that basically it becomes revealed in the end of game, hence it shouldnt be on taht textfile that is read before playing.

However, even solution is here, there is still the problem of, are you really going to sacrifice some time from putting features, in to making a textfile? Hence my solution would be following.

Let the speedgame go as it have gone so far. Deadline being on day x, as it have always been. However, now after the deadline is reached, give one day for people to write and upload their textfiles still.

This way people could maximize their time to use for their game, and yet they could still in peace write their txt files the next day after the text file.

This would give plenty of time for game creators to tell how they interpreted the message, how is it findable in there, and tell about technicalities, extras and stuff about their game, that others can use as basis on making their votes about your game.

Those are my two suggestions. To recap them:

- three first players mark how long it took to test the game.

- After deadline ends, one day to upload txt files for games.