Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Rating Guidelines Sticky

A topic by CahGames created Apr 25, 2020 Views: 123
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Host (1 edit) (+1)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining this jam, I hope you're having fun!

We're only at the beginning of this experimental jam and I see that there are already 10 submissions. I can't tell if those are the final versions for the jam or just prototypes, but in this post, I just wanted to remind you of the importance of the rating criteria in this jam. My main concern (and the reason I didn't want to create this jam in the first place) was that at the end of the submission period there would be only really short bad games and that voting those with just a "badness" criteria wouldn't have much sense, because everyone would get high ratings and reach the first place. That's why rating criteria are very important and you should consider them when creating your game for this jam.

Let's review them:

• Bad Design: when you play a bad game, you can spot some wrong game design choices that make the game less fun, less fair, less intuitive, etc. So, your rating for a game in this field should be the amount of these wrong choices the dev made. If you're creating a game right now, my advice is free your evil creativity, or make the player hate you
  • Boredom: bad games are usually boring. Repetitive actions and the feeling of "I don't know what to do" are just two examples of what makes a game boring. Keep in mind that a really short game (less than 2 minutes of gameplay) won't probably be boring because it's too short.
  • Innovation: this is used in almost all jams so I won't explain it here

That's all I wanted to say, and remember one last (cryptic) thing: trash doesn't necessarily mean bad, and vice versa. There are bad games that are not trash, and there are pretty good games that are trash.

If you have questions, answer to this post or let me know on the discord server.

Cah.