Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Guide] Using Win95/98 software on Windows 7+

A topic by vapordruid created Jun 20, 2022 Views: 132
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted(+2)

Hi! I wanted to share how I open any 32-bit Windows-based (95/98/NT/ME) software on Windows 7 or newer (64-bit), just in case you wanted to experience using an old program.

馃敼 First, you'll need to download an ISO file with the installer (the CD-Rom) of the software you want. I recommend downloading them from the Internet Archive (archive.org) or WinWorldPC. Just google "[name of the program] + archive" and you'll probably find it. 

馃敼 Mount the ISO (double click on the file should do the trick). 

馃敼 Download the last version of this program: https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases

馃敼 Unzip the file and double-click on otvdmw.exe.

馃敼 It'll ask you to open a file, so open the mounted CD and double-click the installer file (its name should be SETUP.exe, Installer.exe or something similar to that). 

馃敼 When it finishes installing, open otvdmw.exe once again but now you have to look for the executable file for the program itself. It should be on the folder you selected during the setup and its name should be the name of the program.

Notes:

If when you select the files to open with otvdmw it doesn't work:

-Right-click on the file you want to open. 

-Go to the Compatibility tab.

-Activate "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 95 or 98 depending on the OS the program you downloads is expected to work on.

-I suggest activating the Reduced color mode and selecting 16-bit for a more immersive experience and activating "Run this program as an administrator". 

------------------

FAQ:

Otvdmw is a Windows 32-bit emulator based on Wine (the Windows emulator usually used on Linux), but for Windows.

Windows 7 and newer versions have a compatibility mode for older software (what I've explained on the Notes), but if you're using a 64-bit versi贸n it won't work. And that's why you need an emulator like otvdmw to make it work.

------------------

I hope this guide helps you! Don't hesitate to ask for further information if something's not clear enough. 

Happy designing 馃グ