On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

If I submit early, can I still update before the deadline?

A topic by OniRyo created 34 days ago Views: 65 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

I was considering submitting what I have now, then if I get a chance to update/add more things before the deadline I can just update it then but wasn't sure if we were allowed.

(To clarify: I know bug-fixes are always allowed even after the deadline, I'm talking about adding new features which isn't allowed "after submission", but wasn't sure if that rule applied if the deadline/voting period hadn't happened yet)

Submitted(+3)

Tim mentioned in the original stream that even for bug fixes after the deadline, it's all "based on the honour system." Possibly others have a different opinion on the following, but mine is that I don't feel it's against the spirit of the jam to submit a working prototype a few days early, followed by updated versions closer to the deadline, as long as you aren't polishing after the deadline. I compare it to Olympic powerlifters, who generally do an easier first lift just to get something on the board in case their second lift fails.

In short, as long as what you're submitting now is a playable build, I don't see anybody coming after you with torches and pitchforks =)

Submitted(+1)

That makes sense :) I just saw in the rules where it says:

"Q: Can I edit my game once I submit?

You can fix game breaking bugs in your submission and upload those. If your game is unpleasant or unplayable due to technical issues, we want you to fix those! You just cant add new features or gameplay. or things like that."

and since the Q specifically stated "submit" I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get disqualified accidentally. My current iteration of my game is "done" (for gamejam standards anyway) but I do have some more ideas I wanted to try to put in there and didn't want to submit if I was able to get it done, but wasn't allowed to re-submit.