Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Can I develop my own game engine before the jam starts?

A topic by danegraphics created May 22, 2019 Views: 1,008 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+2)

I'm just wondering what kind of previously written code I can bring into the jam. I was wondering if extra code I've already developed can be used in my jam entry.

(+6)

More details concerning rules etc will be added to the description at a later point in time.

Last years GMTK jam had this in it's FAQ:

Does everything have to be made in the mentioned time period or can graphics, code, sounds etc. that were already created before also be used?

We request that you please abide by an honor code and do not submit a game or game content you were working on ahead of the jam as it isn't fair to the other jammers working from scratch. This rule does not include fair-use content from non-team sources, nor does it include any third-party or custom-built engines that you wish to use in the jam.

The "custom-built engines" exclusion is confusing. Does that mean that some library or code base or other large resource that I put together specifically for this project, but way ahead of the actual jam, would be fair game, even if I don't release the resource publicly or make it available to others? Or is it referring to "third-party resources and third-party custom-built engines"? That would make sense to me, but I can't tell from the way it's worded.

Well, I think it’s best to go back to the idea of the jam.

It’s meant to be a time-limited focus on the project, and you don’t just start out before the jam starts – also because that would be disrespectful and unfair towards the other participants.

That being said, where to draw the line between project focused work and general work is pretty subjective. You can say you create an engine, potentially for this project, but it's a general purpose engine that you may use for other stuff as well, or is a learning process independent from this project.

If the engine is specifically for this project, maybe it's just too big of a scope for a game jam with such a short time limit?