Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Draft Solo Oracles and Rules

A topic by HamyTNT created May 20, 2024 Views: 78 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted (1 edit)

So, you're on your own. The tall person has gone off and is doing something else, probably claimed they were washing the dog or something. Your Kenn still need errands run. Just take a look at pages 37-39 of the Goblin Errands rule book, roll a few dice and you'll be up to your pointy ears in errands. Work work work and no tall person to help you out. Stress not. You don't really need a tall person. You can solo it.

Here, for thoughts and comments, is the first hack at producing some solo rules and oracles, customised to suit the levity of Goblin Errands.

The source files can be down loaded as a zip from my Box.com repository.  Use this link.

https://app.box.com/s/vhccey1q1mh98jxicp4lp89xrcupsgnd

The rules text and oracle table developments have been done in Libreoffice.  MS Word and Excel will open these files without problems.  The svgs for the Yes/No oracle chart have been done using Matplotlib followed by Inkscape.  There are two styles here.  One is as presented in the rules document, while the other has the different types of "yes" and "no" shown as a legend.  It would be good to get some feedback on which way of presenting this table works best for easy understanding.

At this stage the oracle tables were just created as a stream of words rather than carefully considering each one.  You will see in the spreadsheet documents that there is an overflow list under each oracle list.  These are words that didn't occur to me in time to make the initial list.  Is there value in making extra oracle tables.

This hasn't been play tested other than being used for the examples given in the text.  Hopefully the balance is about right.  If I have time I'll sharpen my pencils and set to with some illustrations.

Have fun

HamyTNT

The draft rules and oracles pdf has been posted in the Game Jam submissions.  Check it out there.

Host

I love it! I really like the introductory text and the method to use two D20 as a D100 alone made me go WOAW :D

I do think calling one table the Focus table when the game has a Focus mechanic is a little confusing. I don't have a better suggestion though. Also you the Descriptor table has the heading DescriptION. And I am a little unclear which combination of tables I should use when. I think expanding on that with some examples might be useful?

Also, if you're interested in making it look a little more like the original book, check out the digital extras and the "GoblinExtras_playbook-instructions" file. It contains colors, font choices and more...

Submitted(+1)

Thanks Martin

I'll take a look at the playbook-extras for some extra styling and illustrations.  Tah for that.

Agreed the "Focus" table does need renaming I'll have a think about that.  In a way the Theme and Focus oracles are very similar.  It may come down to rolling the dice and selecting something from either of the Action and Description oracles and then another from the Theme or Focus oracles - whatever best suits the narrative.  As you say, some more examples could be the best way of demonstrating the differences.

Thanks for the feedback.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hi All

I'm pleased to say I've released what I hope is the final edition of the "A Goblin Alone" solo rules.  It is now formatted as per the Goblin Errands themes, illustrated, and includes a few examples of the oracles in action.  You can download it from the submissions page or through this link.

https://hamytnt.itch.io/a-goblin-alone

Have fun

Submitted

Hi All

I've just posted the latest update (Version 6).  The only additions of note are the requisite legal stuff.

You can find this latest version on the project page:  https://hamytnt.itch.io/a-goblin-alone

Host

Looking great! I Love all the illustrations so much!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks Martin

It's been a while since I last put pencil to paper and drew something.  It was rather enjoyable.  I must get back into it.

Host

I'm happy to hear it and even more happy to have the jam get you to draw some! That's a wonderful outcome!