Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game topic

A topic by Soul Narrative Games created Nov 01, 2019 Views: 354 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted(+1)

I want to participate in this jam but I can’t really think of any myths or legends that catch my interest. I have always been fascinated with dreams though could I make a game about that?

(1 edit)

If dreams are of interest, you could possibly base something around Morpheus the Greek God of dreams https://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/morpheus-the-god-of-dreams/ ?

HostSubmitted (2 edits)

Dreams are welcome! The idea of "legend" in our theme is vast and can indeed refer to dreams in some way. 

Myths and/or Legends is a large idea that can link with a very lot of projects, from Mythology to History, going through Urban Legends and Modern Myths. You can even create your own myth, in a scifi world or a fantasy story, as you want :) Just make sure to turn it well to fit with the theme (also you'll have to wait for the secret theme to be revealed on day 1). 

Anyway I'm sure your idea of dreams is excellent, so go ahead! Good luck and most important: try to have fun!

Hey, I don't really have any idea either for a myth or legend themed game, but I have something interesting about lost memories in a forgotten location, is this in adequation with the theme ?

Thanks !

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

The purpose of the theme is mainly to prevent participants to post games that they created outside this Jam in other circumstances. If you consider that "Lost memories in a forgotten location" is relevant to our current theme Myths and Legends then go ahead of course: maybe just try to explain why briefly in the game? And then there will be no problem, don't worry.

However don't forget also that it has to fit with the secret theme, which will be revealed in 15 minutes now.

We don't want to prevent anybody from creating games with their own ideas, we really want to encourage creativity, but to be fair with all the participants, the games that don't seem to fit our themes will not be able to win. It doesn't mean we won't be interested in these creations and that they will be left aside if they seem of interest.

Long things short: please try to find ideas that are somehow related with Myths and Legends at least, if not with the secret theme.

A story around your idea of "forgotten locations" seems to me related with the idea of Legends, don't you think? ;)

(+1)

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah I understand. Actually I don't think my game will have any dialogue, I think it'll be a bit like Myst, so the story will be revealed visually, and anyone can interpret it however they like. About the secret theme, it just fits perfectly with my idea (yeah I know it haha) so no problem with it.

And yes the "forgotten location" could be a legend (although in my mind it's story should have happened pretty recently so that's a bit contradictory ?) anyway I'll try to figure out something that I'll like to create. I have good core ideas but still don't know if it'll be first person or something else xD

Anyway thanks for your reply!

HostSubmitted

I think it sounds good :) Go ahead, we love Myst-like games!

Submitted

since my game is going to be about dreams and running away from your troubles within  them, does that count towards the theme of “far away and lost”?

(+1)

Sounds OK to me - Just keep some aspects that relate to the central and mandatory themes (if possible). Remember one of the Judging criteria is Story / Affinity with the theme

HostSubmitted

Roger said it all. To be 100% sure if you are worried, as long as you explain (even briefly) in the game what is the relation between your project and the themes, it's ok, you won't be out of competition (this will be for games that are absolutely not related AT ALL).

Then if we find there's a link, even very slight, you're good. You'll just get a good or bad rating on this very criteria, it will depend on the judges and their affinity with your explanation/story regarding the themes.