Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A few questions related to the game jam!

A topic by OhHeyJude created May 04, 2024 Views: 97 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit)

Howdy, so I'm a dev working in RPG maker. I'm not much of a sprite artist and backgrounds are my arch enemy. I can figure out how to make sprites for characters and items to a certain extent but struggle with making tileset backgrounds, method primarily used in making levels in an rpg maker game. But I found some good tilesets on the rpg maker forums that fit the vibe i'm going for pretty well. My first question is can we use community made sprites for  backgrounds and such, with credit of course, or does it have to be done by the person or team making the game?

Second question is related to the music. Are covers of songs allowed? I have a friend who's helping me with the ost for the game and who's making chiptune tracks for it and I want to know if it's okay if they make covers of songs for certain parts of the game or does that go against the copyrighted material rule?

Host(+1)

Hello! In answer to your questions:

You can use anything that you're legally allowed to use. It's up to you to check whether or not the creator of those assets has given permission. So whether or not you're allowed to use a tileset you found on an RPG Maker forum comes down to whether the creator of that tileset allows people to use it in their projects.

No, covers of songs are not allowed. The only exception to this would be if you actually obtained a license to use the cover song in a game.