Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Untitled dog runner devlog

A topic by Juaneiro created Jul 05, 2019 Views: 429 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

Hey all, so for the jam I wanna make a runner type game with my dog. Essentially the same as the you don't have internet game but with collage-like aesthetics and more inputs! I've already kind of sketched out the idea on a piece of digital paper, but surely things will change as I develop it and come across obstacles or new ideas surface. 

THE GAME

You're my dog (Maya), and you run! As you encounter obstacles you must react accordingly with the four arrow keys (or wasd if that's your thing) to do the action you need to do to avoid/minimize the time loss of that obstacle. This would be for example jumping over food (or you lose time eating it, you're a dog remember), barking at doors for them to magically open, surrendering to big dogs to avoid trouble, or yawning at humans for them to fall in love with you (giving you points? I'm not sure yet how that specific bit would work since surely yawning should slow you down a bit)

I'm honestly not sure what else to add here so just let me know if you got any questions! Otherwise, I'll hopefully be posting updates as the game progresses!

Submitted

First update! Many cute photos have been taken, some have been cut out and now production begins.  In terms of in engine work I just got the basic run animation going (without any actual movement happening), introduced the first obstacle (doors), and the ability to fight off the evil doors by barking at them and making them open! Here's a gif of Maya using her powerful bark to open a door (but not all doors!) 

https://gyazo.com/306ea5509373b27298f7ddde783b43e7

(+1)

That's such a cool effect! Maya is going to be a star 

(1 edit) (+1)

oh, that's super cute! I may be showing my lack of knowledge about video games, but I've never seen animated photos used as game characters, that's very cool.

eta: go Maya, and go you!

Submitted(+1)

Maya looks adorable!! <3 She sure does have a powerful bark. Love the concept and looking forward to seeing updates and how the yawning at humans for them to fall in love with you will work.  Keep up the good work! :D

Submitted

Thanks a lot for the support on the last devlog! For this one there's nothing too showy that's quite ready, but quite a few important things have been added:

1. Maya now actually runs! Pretty important for a runner game.

2. The background moves along with Maya but drags back a bit so over time it seems to move slowly.

3.  The ground below repeats so the camera can follow Maya with things looking good for a long time ( eventually you run out of background though)

4. You can now smash into the doors! This will slow you down, however. Room for polish when this happens with something like a screen-shake effect or something, definitely not a priority right now though.

Finally here's a gif of all these things put together to show maya running into a door :) https://gyazo.com/b1bb99029b2fc8061a86caee831b3ffa (no animals were hurt in the making of this gif)

Host(+1)

aww this is so cute! it's awesome to see the progress on the game functionality so far. i also recommend embedding gifs in the posts--it makes it really straightforward to see your progress over the jam!

Submitted(+1)

I'll look into it, thanks! I couldn't quite figure out how to do it before with the tool I'm using to get the gifs but I might just change tool :D

Host

i think licecap is pretty straightforward--screentogif can be as well but i think its filesizes can be a bit large. usually i have to export a video out of screentogif and then convert it to gif in photoshop or another program.

Submitted

WOW THIS GAME IS NOT DEAD

Hi all sorry about not updating for a while, quite a few things happened including losing a bunch of progress due to not saving properly and getting frustrated over it, but here's some progress! I went and rewrote a bit of code to fix an annoying bug that kept giving me warnings but not being game breaking. Besides that, I've added 2 more inputs for a total of 3 out of the desired 4! You can now bark at doors, jump over food and surrender to big dogs. Here are two gifs, one of maya crashing into everything and one of maya acing the 3 different types of obstacles. (also the gifs were too large to embed in here, woops) (also also the gifs are on very low framerate so you can't quite appreciate the incredible animations, sorry)

CRASH

https://gfycat.com/silkywillingdaddylonglegs

ACE

https://gfycat.com/digitaldelectablegnu

Submitted

The core game loop is done! You can now jump over food, bark at doors, surrender to  big dogs and yawn at humans to make them fall in love. There is a lot of polish left to be done but for the time being it's playable. I've also added a timer and distance meter so there's a goal to reach. The goal is to get to 500m as fast as possible! I got there in 1:28. Can you beat it? No gifs as there is just a link to the actual game now ;)

https://juaneiro.itch.io/mayas-collage-runner