SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Other Mons JRPG

A topic by Chainsta created Jul 12, 2020 Views: 172 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+1)

Hello! Welcome to my devlog, I guess...

It's a JRPG, with a monster-catching feature.

... that's pretty much it.

• Team: Just me.
  • Engine: Wolf RPG Editor.
  • Story: Later.
  • Setting: Nuh-uh.
  • Art style? Music?Shhh...

I don't have much to say. I'll just post my progress here from time to time.

Still, good luck everyone! Keep your aspirations in a jar somewhere safe and close! :D

Host

hey welcome! i'm curious to see more of this, esp what kind of monsters. good luck with the jam!

Thanks J! I wanted to focus on the mechanics more than the actual monster designing... Gonna work on gameplay/progression first before them tho. But then again they could be a strong selling point, hmm...

Update thyme.

Day ~ 2
  • Jam started at 2 PM here. Worked right away. Had an idea for the mon-catching feature. Basically just copying the enemy database/entries and pasting it to the hero database. 
  • Added some... new "fields" (Wolf Editor terms) (stat growths, equip slots, skills learned, etc.) for the enemy entries.  Basically turning the enemy database into a 2nd hero database.
  • Made the common event to actually copy-paste enemy entry to hero entry, and add the fresh entry to the party. Nailed it. :B

I love LICEcap. Itch's upload limit is only 3mb tho.... so some gifs were too big to post... and got to record again. Don't mind the enemy graphics, please.

Day ~ 4

I mean, today's the fourth day, right?

• Procrastinated on evening day 2. And early day 3. Thought about actually not using the leveling system. Just focus on catching mons like climbing the food chain.
  • Made the common event for kicking party member mons. The engine has a limit of 6 party members, and changing that means changing a lot of things, which would take me days (engine documentation and common event notes are my only go-to). No thank you. Set the event for after battle, called when the party reached max 6 members.
  • Had an idea for a "party capacity". Simply, a party of 2 giants is equal to a party of 5 critters. Tried to implement it, but I hit a rock early today. When a big mon (takes 3 "slots") enter and the party capacity gets exceeded, others will have to be kicked. Potentially kicking that or other 3-slot mon, 3 1-slot mons, 2 slot mons, and other combinations. This... unfortunately... is beyond what I can do right now. Would take me days, if I even have the motivation all the way through. So no.

===

In short, the core feature has been finished. Still the bare minimum, but it works.

Next I'll have to make actual content and assets. ...and a story. I brought this upon myself.  Those are all default engine assets, not mine.

Thanks for stopping by! :D