Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Project Searching Swiper

A topic by Browntul created Jul 15, 2020 Views: 92 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

[I've been posting updates on Twitter and my Discord. The following are exact copies of these posts. I will try to update here more often!]

7/13/20 Blog Post 1.
I still don't know what this game is going to be called, but it's going to be one of those one-input-only style of games again. I think it's going to be a searching game with some puzzle elements in it. It's going to be in first person.

That is not very precise of a game description, but I am taking a different approach due to my lack of motivations as of late. Ideally, I'd want to come in to the game jam with an idea of what I want to do. But this time, due to various issues, I was not able to do that. This will be a great challenge: coming up with a prototype of a game that I don't even have an idea what it's going to be. 

I do have something good on my side. I'm at home. I have time: 14 days is longer than the usual 48-72 hour window. And I have a wonderful network of people to ask questions, including the #MyFirstGameJam discord and Unity's now-free learning website. Speaking of Unity, I have been trying to learn more on how to use the game engine effectively. Guzman HR Derby came out of this game jam last year and was made in Unity. I really want to work on a new idea and move away from HackUWU- this involves me giving up my attachment to GameMaker: Studio and my love for nuzzle wuzzle... eh, oh well, you get the idea.

I have a little video here. It shows some balls flying towards other balls. You click to launch the ball.

(Twitter video) https://twitter.com/i/status/1282632903965335552

But Browntul! This is such an easy thing to make. Why make a blog post for something so simple?

I think it's important (and kinda fun!) to learn where your ideas stem from. It's just balls flying everywhere for now, but it's my first step towards realizing my primary game mechanic.

I want to make some sort of puzzle game. I want the player to be able to confirm that they found it by hitting it. But I'm not sure if it will be an arm, a camera, a ball... a ball just seemed natural for now.

What kind of puzzles will I make? I don't even know yet. But figuring out this base mechanic is so important. I'll be spending the next two days figuring that out.

(Twitter image) https://twitter.com/browntulstar/status/1282632911531851777

I have a scuffed photo here. I'm using an iPad as a secondary monitor on my crammed table. It does the job. Having code on the side, and seeing it dynamically update the game state on the main screen is such a great workflow.

Anyways, that's all I have for today. It's been a bit demotivating to work on something new... but it's a start. I have to stay motivated. I want to try to make something new... and get out of my comfort zone.

Submitted

[I've been posting updates on Twitter and my Discord. The following are exact copies of these posts. I will try to update here more often!]

7/14/20 Blog Post 2. Just a Twitter link!

https://twitter.com/browntulstar/status/1283015515942739968

Submitted

7/15/20 Blog Post 3

This isn't much but I finally figured out how to deal with Unity colliders again. I want the player to be able to throw multiple projectiles to knock things out of the way. So far, I'm still not sure what the goal of the game is. I do like this player perspective of being smol, looking for something so hidden (ie, under the bed). I think knocking things out of the way would be a super cool mechanic. Maybe, I can have different balls do different things (ie. one bounces, another goes fast but doesn't bounce, etc.). But I'm getting too ahead of myself.

I do want to implement the retrieval mechanic. It's probably gonna be a hand. LMAO. A sketch looking hand bc I don't know how to 3D model. But basically, this hand will extend from the player's location and if it can reach the item, then the player wins.

We'll see how it goes. Even if I don't finish the game on time, it is definitely something out of my comfort zone. I've made too many 2D games. Perhaps this is just me acknowledging I need to know 3D engines to be a successful game dev.

(Twitter video) https://twitter.com/browntulstar/status/1283351921525272577