Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Post-Mortem] Slime Jumper

A topic by Jimakiad created Jul 26, 2020 Views: 115
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted(+1)

So, my first ever game made in around 7 days (while debating with myself if I should make it or not for the first week ), Slime Jumper.

Coming into this jam, i had no idea what i would be making. I settled on the idea of an endless jumper that can be played over and over. And i succeeded. Kinda.

1. Slime Jumper is exactly that, a simple endless jumper. This game has sprites and background all made by me, using Aseprite. Without being professional and my first time actually making sprite-sheets/sprites, I think I did a decent enough job. My greatest feat graphically is the slime, and the game's icon. Everything else is more minimalistic and just accompanies the 8-bit feeling i was aiming for. It isn't detailed, no Graphical FX, no lighting, simple and clean. I'm happy with the result, but it can definitely be improved if i exercise more on Aseprite, which I believe will come with time.
  2. The sounds placement is ok at parts, without making it tedious. The music i found for both the menu and gameplay is fitting, and the SFX also sound satisfying. Again, i could definitely improve that, but I don't have much knowledge yet on music and sound design. 
  3. The gameplay is great, and i mean that unironically. My code is the thing i am most proud off from everything in this project, and since everything is working as intended, I am thrilled. Sure, again, i can do adjustments to a few inconviniences, like the hitboxes for the clouds sometimes hitting vertically the player and killing the run, but I am more than satisfied on what it is at it's current state.
  4. The UI is bad. Plain bad. I didn't know how to make a good UI menu, and it shows. No credits, no options, no exit, no pause. I don't know how to make it yet, and I will be sure to further investigate how to make them for my next project.

Overall, this has been one of the most interesting experiences I've had with game dev, since I've never used Unity and C# before, and only working on Story  Writting and making small games in RPG maker for myself. I made a full game that can be further expanded on, but i do decide to just move forward and maybe revisit it after I've become better myself. The game is ok in my honest opinion, but empty on many QoL instances.

Thank you to everyone for helping me in this journey and I will be sure to make a devlog on my next game-jam, as i had no idea such a thing existed prior to this jam. 

This is Mark the Slime Jumper, sitting on a cloud!