Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[devlog] Three Years

A topic by FableButt created Jan 03, 2016 Views: 434 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+1)

Hi! I'm not really sure how to start this out, but I'm joining this Jam with a little idea I've called Three Years. c:

I'm using RPG Maker VX Ace for this, mostly because I played around with it some and its cute. This story won't be very grand, but it hopefully will be cute. It follows Mik, and today is his three year anniversary of being together with Emi. Mik wants to cook Emi a special dinner! The only problem is that Emi has so many allergies its ridiculous, so Mik needs to be very careful what he cooks. Its basically a little 'connect the dots, find the ingredients' type deal. I can't promise much from it other than that, however.

I set up three challenges for myself with this game. First is to actually finish the game! I've had Ace for a while, but never played around with it enough to get past building a few simple maps and characters. I want to learn how to do the events and make it do cause-and-effect type things. My second is to make the story have at least two endings. I tacked on this challenge for myself after the fact, but I think I want to try my hand at making some custom sprites and tilesets too. Nothing too fancy since I don't have much skill at that stuff, but for what I have in mind it should be good enough.

So far I've made Mik, Emi and a floor tile. Its coming along a little harder than I thought it would be. The floor tile was the hardest to figure out cause of the repeating design, but I think now that I kind of understand the mechanics that the rest of the tiles I want to make should be a little easier.

This is Mik! You play as him! I worry his hair is a little too yellow, but my friend said he looked like a cute lemon drop. What do you guys think?

Emi! The most important person in the world to Mik! Too bad he's grouchy and allergic to so many things.

This is the Tile that I made. Its supposed to be for a kitchen or bathroom floor. I might still need to adjust it some, but I'm proud that it repeats!

HostSubmitted

aa this is a very cute premise for a game! i'm curious to see what your different endings will be.

also tiling can be tricky! one thing i like to do when i'm creating tiles is offset them a little bit + tile them within my art program to make sure that altogether the tiling looks pleasing. kudos to you for creating some custom art! i think games with custom art definitely stand out--it'll be exciting to see how it looks altogether in your screenshots.

this is so cute holy heck

Submitted

this is so cute! It feels very retro, which I think is a great thing!