Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What counts as game experience? - ANSWERED Sticky

A topic by TheEdd created Jul 26, 2022 Views: 468 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+2)

I have technically been making games for a while now, but it's been a pretty on-and-off experience. As in I tried to make a game, didn't finish it, came back to game development a few years later, made a game, forgot about game development for another few months, then came back. Would that count?

Host (2 edits)

currently, the rules have been updated since the first Newbies Jam.

The only conditions to getting accepted are:

•  Knowing you will be competing against almost everyone with under one year of game dev experience 
  • You either have less than a year of experience in total! or you have completed less than two (real) projects by yourself!
  • Calculate the dates you seriously worked on game dev (if you can) and enter that when submitting the game as an exp level!
  • You have to be sure about joining! You are welcome if you think you cannot compete against experts yet! But I highly encourage you to try them if you have more than a year of learning experience!

I don't count being an artist or audio designer team member for over a year! The experience I'm mainly looking for includes programmers!

EXTRA: Your previous experience could be on a different game engine, which still counts! You cannot change the fact that you know about creating video games!!

I have 7 years business app programming experience but no game programming experience other than a couple days I spent on another Jam that I had to quit because I ran out of time. Where would I fall?

Host

Well, where do you think you would fall? 

If you think this jam will help you a lot, welcome to the Newbies game jam XD

What6 counts as seriously working on gamedev

Host

Hey @GalliumElk,

I'm sorry but I didn’t quite understand the question, what do you mean by "seriously working on gamedev"?

You said for the exp thing to put the dates you have seriously worked on gamedev. What does seriously working on gamdev mean. Does it mean making games to get money of smth?

Host

Ohh, No it's like you tried to work on projects or/and you created games! Or the time where you got lessons and courses to learn about gamedev, do not count the date were you take a LONG break, like if you started learning in 2019 but you took a break in 2020-2021 then you can say my experience was 1 year long.

thanks

(+1)

Thanks for the answer! :D