Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Do you want a theme?

A topic by Martin Nerurkar created Jul 24, 2016 Views: 459 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Host

I'm unsure if NO COMFORT JAM needs a theme. The restrictions of leaving your comfort zone alone are pretty harsh and adding a theme on top might make the remaining space too small for some. But then again I'm a big fan of themes in game jams. What do you folks think?

(+1)

how about an optional theme?

Host

Fair enough, that's probably a suitable compromise. Guess I'll have to come up with a theme now. I guess something that somehow relates to discomfort would make sense.

(+1)

A given theme is a good start for an idea :)

Host

Alrighty. I'll do some brainstorming. If you guys have some suggestions, let me know!

(+1)

I also like the idea of an optional theme!

Just like the "No Comfort" jam implies, maybe the optional theme could be...the same? The character(s)/player could be placed in an awkward or strange situation, something that makes them feel uneasy. Or, the controls could even be programmed to be "uncomfortable." It's a super broad theme though. ^^;;

I guess it'd be for the creators who want top-notch awkwardness when working on their project.

Host

Yeah, I thought along the same lines. Currently my idea is to have three themes, that you can kind of layer on top of each other. You can pick one, two or all three. And they're all kinda about the no comfort theme. I'll do some brainstorming on my way to cologne for gamescom :D

Host

So, here's some ideas for optional themes, all centering on discomfort in a way.

Let me know which you like!

Actions

Places
  • Off the map
  • Strange lands
  • Uncharted territory

People

Submitted (2 edits)

Isn't "Public presentation" more or less the ultimate un-comfort almost every living person on this planet?

(edit: add the missing 'un-')

Host

I don't know. I think a lot of people are uncomfortable presenting something in public. Stage fright and all.

Submitted (1 edit)

Ops. Forgot a quite important 'un-' before 'comfort'. In other words, I agree with you; I'm just not that good with these keyboard things.

(edit(again): I should apparently avoid using written human language today)

Host

Ah right. That makes a lot more sense. But yes, I think it's something that makes a lot of people uncomfortable, which is why it's such a good fit.

Host

Alrighty. Narrowed it down to three topics and posted them on the front page.