Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Does this idea count as "Interactive Fiction"?

A topic by Goose created Jan 12, 2024 Views: 167 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 2

I just want to get a sense if this idea is too removed from Interactive Fiction to count for this jam (I'm still gonna make the thing, I just want to know if it will count for this jam).

I plan on using GBStudio to make a brief top-down experience. Through dialog, one character will walk the other through my grandmother's spaghetti sauce recipe. There will be some choices in the beginning to determine some option ingredients, then the characters will walk to the store to get the final two ingredients (the key to the recipe) and return home. 

Through the walk and the bit at the store, there will be some dialog about my memories of my grandmother, where she lived in Montreal, the simplicity of the recipe, etc. When the two return home, it's not to the apartment they left, but to my grandmother's kitchen, where they cook the recipe while giving the full directions.

As the jam is focused on Interactive Fiction, I am just unsure if this format fits within what folks might consider IF. What do you think?

Jam HostSubmitted

Yes, your idea counts as interactive fiction for the purpose of this jam.

Submitted

I wasn't sure if I should make a new topic as I have a very similar question -- I also still intend to make my game even if it doesn't quite fit into the scope of this jam, but I'm using RPG Maker MV. The player will be able to make choices and move around freely in the single map, but I'm not sure if the battle element I intend to include would take away from the rest of the story as the central theme in your opinion. The point of the game is still to bake with a recipe by finding the ingredients and following the directions, but I just wanted to see whether it was still close enough to the spirit of the jam if I'm trying to tell a story that only has one ending while incorporating other elements into it. (I also only found this jam about 6 days before the deadline, so I would've asked sooner had I not been working feverishly to actually make something playable ^^;)

Jam HostSubmitted

Sorry this is late, but I think this game would be okay for the jam.

Submitted

No worries about the time! Thanks for your response!