Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What is a One Map Game?

A topic by Mister Jay the Game Maker created Jul 22, 2017 Views: 823 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
HostSubmitted (1 edit)

I will make a sample game, having only one map.  I will not officially be in the contest, unless there is four or less game submissions.  If there are four or less games, not counting mine, I will automatically take last place.

Are there any game engine restrictions for this jam? Can I use GameMaker Studio?

Also, will there be a theme?

HostSubmitted

Our RPG Biz members voted to have no theme for this first one.  You may use whatever game engine you desire, as long as the game is 2D and occurs only on one map.  It can be made with GameMaker Studio, RPG Maker, Unity, etc. If you have further questions, please ask. :)

What is your definition of a "map"? I understand that going inside a building and loading another room/map would be cheating, but what about the Super Mario Sunshine method, where the room is far away and it just teleports you? (explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmYajM_vBMA)

HostSubmitted

After watching the video, I do see a few issues.  This may disqualify a game for many reasons.    There are concepts of these 'invisible rooms' that have my concern.  The video states that these areas are just redrawn.  This language shows that it is indeed a new map.  These 'invisible rooms' are located above the current map.  2D games typical work with only two dimensions, most being height and width/length, leaving out depth.  I have made top view 2D games that use length and width before, leaving out height.  The glitch incorporates many 3D aspects.  Unfortunately, you used a 3D game to try to describe a concept to be used in a 2D game.  If there is a different example, that explains it different, I may accept it.  I have also made maps that had mini maps on the same map.   In my mind, it is a way to put many maps on a single map.  They are still many maps.   I will have to look at this.  I wish it was before the Game Jam started.  Rules could have been clarified or modified.

Deleted 6 years ago
HostSubmitted

I do understand what you are talking about.  Most 2D games do actually use 2.5D graphics.  They show the traditional height and width, and attempt to represent the third dimension depth.  Almost all RPG Maker games have this 2.5D imaging system.

In my personal games, I like to eliminate this .5 dimension, and make what I call 'Tru 2D' images, using only height and width/length, with no depth representation at all.  This also means no shadows.  I have made one true top view 2D game where only length and width were represented, with no height.

Answering your question, yes 2.5 images are allowed since they attempt to represent the 3rd dimension but actually are not 3D images.  If you could send me a sample image to thenewhopeteam@hotmail.com, I could easily verify if we are talking about the same image style.

Thank you,

MinisterJay

HostSubmitted

This is a friendly reminder that the challenge is for the game to occur on one map.  If an area connects directly to another area, yet it is not reached by simply moving there, and the character is transferred, then a new map was most likely used.  Most games that use 'Mario' like tubes do NOT have a single map being used.