Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What is fear?

A topic by Brandon Khan created Aug 01, 2023 Views: 204 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 13

I see many games use jump scars or loud sounds to disturb the player or very gross things, but does that scare you? Does it make you not want to do something is that fear? I think one way to look at fear is the thing where when you don't want to do it, but for some reason you are compiled too. It's the trigger for courage or to say it another way the way to invoke your conciseness in times of the unknown.  

What are some other ways to view fear? or what is fear to you?

Submitted

you need good ambience, other than that, idk

gotcha so what are some things that contribute to a good ambience if you are trying to make someone fearful?

There needs to be meaning for every scare. Have buildup to your scares and try to make each one impactful. You can do this more easily if you have a rich atmosphere that gets the players invested in the game.

Ah ok so when you say meaning, are we saying the way you get scared has to be connected to what is going on? Or could you elaborate more? Im starting to see that the feel of the game matters a lot to add to the atmosphere, but what about the atmosphere/vibes lend to creating fear?

Its hard to explain but the simplest way of explaining it (That being what about atmosphere creates fear) is that your likely to be scared by a jumpscare In a detailed and rich world than a low poly stupidly thought out mess. COUGH COUGH (Garten of Banban)

Simply put, your world needs to make sense and match the mood you're going for with the scares.

I think im starting to understand. I want to make something really scary but not just jump scars you know. i feel like being jotted or supprised isn't the same as not wanting to turn off the lights at night or having to sleep on the floor idk. Do you have any games that you would point to and say this has the atmosphere?

(+1)

It's hard for me to thin k of a few off the top of my hat BUT 1 "game" you should check out is this Doom mod called MyHouse.WAD. Its a crazy horror mod that's not technically a "Game" but it is still crazy how much effort was put into the game and how there is so few jump scares but still makes you on edge. Here's a short vid I found on it. (Other videos are like 3 hours long!) Hope it helps! 

Other games I recommend are Silent hill and P.T demo

BTW a game can work with constant jump scares. It just needs some form of balance.

(+1)

I'm not trying to say that you can't. just that it seams like most use jump scares more often. For sure i see you gotta find a good mix maybe? Ill check out the video you sent tyvm!

I hope that was helpful

(+1)

It was for me. The doom wad my house was extremely interesting.