SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progress log

A topic by Someoneman created Feb 05, 2019 Views: 430 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted(+2)

Days 1, 2, and 3

I only discovered this jam yesterday and decided to join because I have way too much free time and need to do something constructive rather than just waste it. I did a Ludum Dare so 1 day less or 2 out of 12 is no big deal. I spent last night thinking of a game idea, and today I drew some graphics.

Tomorrow I'll get started on gameplay. I'm trying to learn Godot so I'll be working with that.

Submitted(+1)

Day 4

Got my base gameplay working. You can charge up long or high hops. The more you charge, the farther/higher you'll go. Actual levels will have smaller and more spaced out platforms so you'll have to estimate the type of jump and how much you'll need to charge it.

Submitted(+3)

Day 5

I added a jet platform that acts as the level goal. It will bring our bunny into space (making it fit the theme) and to the next level. I also redrew the platforms because the bunny sprite is scaled 2x but the other platforms were just 1x, making them look strange. There's also a new animation for high jumps.

Submitted(+3)

Day 6

I added moving platforms. And a fancy blue sky background. It's still a placeholder. I'm going to add some clouds and stuff to make it prettier later.

Submitted(+1)

Day 7

Improved the background. It still looks MS Paint-y, but it's still better than just blue and nothing else.

Is the green bunny hard to see against the green grass, or is it fine? I don't have problems seeing it, but maybe other people might and it's easy to just darken the grass a bit. Anyway, most of the time the bunny will be in front of the blue sky. I'm pretty sure the first level is the only one where you go low enough to potentially blend into the background.

I also added respawning when the bunny falls off the bottom of the screen.

One last thing: I was planning for later levels to have different gravity since they're on other planets, but I noticed that it takes a lot of practice to master the hopping mechanic (even I still have difficulty with aiming) and I don't want all the practice to go to waste once you leave Earth. Would anyone mind if the Moon and Mars inexplicably had the same gravity as Earth? The alternative would be a lot of trial and error every few levels as you try to figure out how far each type of jump will take you.

Submitted(+1)

Day 10

I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still going. I'm done with the first world and don't want to show off stuff from later. However, I did finish something I can show off: a title screen with level selection.

Oh, yeah. I should have mentioned this game is called "To Clover Planet". Clovers, not carrots, are a rabbit's favorite food, and there's a planet covered in them. The goal of this game is to get there by riding the many rocket platforms that inexplicably exist at the end of each level. I kinda came up with gameplay first and plot second.

Submitted

Day 11

I was mostly busy baking desserts for Valentine's Day, but I managed to compose two chiptunes for the game. The Mars theme sounds especially epic for something that only took me 15 minutes. But if you want to hear it, you'll have to play my game once it's out. I've always thought of video game music as a reward that must be earned by actually reaching the point in the game where it's played.

Submitted

Day 12

I was originally planning on having 12 levels, but I decided to settle with 9 because the deadline is coming and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the last 3. Also, the last few levels are extremely difficult and I don't think anyone will have the patience for even more difficult levels given that this is a game jam game and players will probably be interested in playing the other games and not just wasting 5 hours trying to beat mine.