Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Quest games?

A topic by Xaeyr created Apr 07, 2023 Views: 150 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(1 edit)

Hi all! I was looking over the list of common authoring systems and thought I would give Quest a try. I really like it, but I have not found a way to upload the game on itch.io. If a game is made using Quest, how should we list it and submit it to the jam?

HostSubmitted

There are two ways to create a game in Quest:

• You can create your game online, then download the finished quest file.
  • You can download Quest from http://textadventures.co.uk/quest, create the game on your computer and save the quest file. The downloadable version of Quest is only available for Windows.

In both cases, you can upload the finished quest file to your itch.io game page and people can download it from there, but they also need to download Quest to play it.

If you want people to be able to play your game online, you can upload it to the Quest web site (at the link above) 24 hours before the submission deadline and provide a link to the game on your itch.io page.

Thanks for the info. Those were the only options I could find, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something 😊

HostSubmitted

Actually, there is another option called QuestJS (or Quest 6). Version 1.4.0 was released a couple of weeks ago, so it's still in active development. This allows you to write your game in a text editor and run it in a web browser. You can host this on itch.io.

I don't know much about QuestJS, but it has very good documentation on the GitHub web site. You can migrate a game from Quest 5 to QuestJS, but it may require a bit of editing to get it to work. Perhaps check it out and see what you think. The author is active on intfiction.org and the QuestKit forum (QuestKit was an earlier version of QuestJS), so you may be able to get help there if you need it.