Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

ttRPG JAMuary Q&A&A (Questions, Answers, and Advice) Sticky

A topic by Quasifinity Games created Nov 29, 2023 Views: 480 Replies: 21
Viewing posts 1 to 8
HostSubmitted (1 edit)

If you've got questions, someone will have answers... or advice... or will at least admit that no one knows!

(+1)

The “good neighbor” section links point to the zine Jam.

HostSubmitted

Whu-oh! I've fixed the links. Thank you for letting me know!

(+2)

i'm kind of interested in this, but also nervous because i don't know if mine will hold up well

are there any requirements the game has to meet or can it just be like. a silly little game?

HostSubmitted

There's no limit on silliness, seriousness, scope, scale, size, tone, type, or tempo. Your goals are your own, this is just a space to share and be awesome along other awesome people trying to achieve little goals of their own. Many of my favorite games are squarely within the genre of "silly little." I, personally, would welcome such a contribution here!

Of course, if this gives you more anxiety than enjoyability, please don't feel any pressure to participate.

Submitted

I would be delighted to play a silly little game!

(+1)

I want to ask, since this is my first Game Jam and the first time my work will be publicly available, is it acceptable if I begin working before the first of the year? 

HostSubmitted

Absolutely! I went ahead and removed the rule about not starting until January 1. Enough people had expressed anxiety about the timeline that it seemed more of a hindrance than a help. 

So, yeah, go for it! 

(+1)

Is it allowed to work with a partner or is this a purely individual jam?

HostSubmitted

Everyone is free to partner up or fly solo as they see fit!

Submitted

I just published a complete redesign of a previous module I created (an adventure for the Mausritter TTRPG). It looks entirely different and has some additional features that the original didn't have, but the core product isn't new. Would that be acceptable for this jam? Since I'm in New Zealand, it's been 1 January for a whole day already. 

HostSubmitted

So, the idea for this Jam to encourage people to create something new during the month of January. It's ok for people to get started early, but it sounds like you did almost all the work before the jam started and would have been doing that regardless of this jam's existence. 

If that's the case, it's not entirely in the spirit of the jam, but I'm not here to police what does it does not belong in the jam. 

It looks like it's available to the other jam participants for free (point 3 on the jam list), so that just leaves point 2: "Support and encourage your fellow JAMuary participants (advice and feedback should be constructive and considerate)."

So, I'll leave this up to you. Are you looking for advice and feedback on your project? Are you down to support and encourage the other jam participants?

If the answer to those questions is "yes," then I don't see anything wrong with your project being included in this Jam!

Submitted(+1)

Yeah that's fair! With all that in mind it doesn't make too much sense to submit to this jam, so I'll leave it out. I have some plans for other things this month that I'm hoping to work on and submit. 

HostSubmitted

I respect your choice and I look forward to your next project. Happy JAMuary to you!

HostSubmitted

And then you produced something AWESOME! I'm really digging Hard Sell. Cheers!

Submitted

Ah thanks so much! And thank you for the glowing review on the game! It really means a lot that you enjoy it so much.

Could I ask you a favour? If you have a minute, do you think you could post that review as a comment on the game itself? Itch doesn't show review text anywhere useful, so having it visible there would be really helpful. No worries if not though - just thought I'd ask.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Done! I just learned a new thing about Itch reviews!

Submitted

Thanks so much :) Itch reviews only show up in the feed of the person who wrote them, so leaving a review as a comment as well is always helpful.

Submitted(+1)

I hope this doesn't sound too suspicious, is it generally frowned upon if my work is similiar to another game? This is literally the second time I'm making anything public and I'm a bit anxious. I am trying to make a FitD mecha game based primarily on Armored Core, but I'm worried it might end up being too similiar with Apocalypse Frame, which is a Lumen Game

HostSubmitted(+1)

Not a bit. I think you may be hard-pressed to find a game being worked on here that isn't similar to other games. What matters is that you make something that fulfills your personal creativity and design goals. Ours is an iterative art form, so you're on solid ground as long as you're iterating artistically!

Submitted

Can I submit a project I'm building for another jam this month? Or does it nees to be exclusive to here?

HostSubmitted

Nah, it's fine. Most of the submissions appear to be for other jams. Submit away!