Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

My problem with Game Jams(Being Brutal honest with a B)

A topic by s1nner created Dec 04, 2021 Views: 71 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

We(the Three) enjoy building games for Itch.IO Jams. They help us understand what it's like to be on a deadline and strategize on how to build a game. We like every moment and time that we spend on building a game from the ground. What people don't understand isn't what game will trend in society. It's about how each game we make could help us improve story telling, puzzle looking ideas.  

What I want from every person that hosts a Game Jam. If they want competitors and determine team, they should give them a reason to chase the finish line with something everyone values. We decided that joining Game Jams are not worth the time one needs. What we need is attention and glory for everyone that participate the Jams. How else can one make it to the top if the windows are blocking the sky? Don't make us regret using our time for building a unnecessary game with more data to eat up. Think outside the box.

What I want from every person that joins a Game Jam. If you want to make a difference, don't aim too high nor too low. It's okay if plans don't work out as plan. Sometimes, a little bit of chaos is enough to challenge a determine warrior. If you want to build a title for your name, think about the gamers first. You can't have a game if no one wants to play it after losing too many time. Imagine what it would be like if you play that same game.

Host

On my online jams, I try to encourage people to post feedbacks to other games. It sure is important, but it's not that easy to enforce, itch doesn't give any tool to enhance that. I don't really want to make ranked jams though, but there are others around working like that. I for myself want to try every game of course, I review quickly the web based ones, for the rest it takes some time because I also have a job and so on. I'll give a feedback to yours!

I think that if every person taking part in the jam reviews at least 2 to 3 games, we'd have something nice. It happened some years. How many games did you get to test and review so far?

There's also the discord, it's nice to chat and show WIP during the course of the jam :)

I you didn't try that, I think you'd enjoy IRL jams. They're a whole different beast and are way closer to what you expect from a jam. Maybe you live in a remote area where it's not that easy to find (then you'd have to organize your one and be ready to have few people taking part, but it's still cool). If you live in a city, though, chances are a few jams happen once in a while. Usually they last 48 hours and are really nice to experiment.