Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is Alternate Reality Games allowed?

A topic by BSK_Baesick created Aug 14, 2020 Views: 136 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(2 edits)

Since permanent alternate reality games are interactive, video game narratives that uses the real world as a platform and employs transmedia storytelling to deliver a story that may be altered by players' ideas or actions, does Alternate Reality Games that employs the concept of Adventure games accepted? Here's an example of an alternate reality game that implements the same concept of adventure games...but in a more, interactive way you probably never imagined games could do. >>> https://store.steampowered.com/app/449730/Ahnayro_The_Dream_World/

Host

I will first admit that I don't know much about alternate reality games, so I'm not entirely sure what different forms they can take and so forth. So from what little I just read, let me just say this first:

The game must be playable using a Windows computer.  No other devices can be required. And no other software besides the actual game files can be required. It must be a stand-alone game that can be played using only a computer and the game files. Also, if you have time lockouts as I see some ARGS do (like you can't progress until the next day of real time), you are likely not to get any judges playing very far into the game. The judges are busy people, and are not going to spend a week playing a game because they keep getting time locked out of it.

Other than that, a game that tells a story through the solving of puzzles certainly sounds like an adventure game to me.

an andevnture game is a game where the main charecter goes throwgh a story that involves some sord of an enemy or you can make it a puzzle that doesnt have enemys. even something simple like super mario. is an adventure game. 

Host

This is incorrect. Super Mario is about as far from an Adventure Game as it is possible to get. Please see the sticky at the top of this forum and the wikipedia page linked from that post.

oh ok