Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Question, Could a Sidescrolling walking simulator that includes jumping be considered an adventure game?

A topic by Edo Amit created Sep 26, 2021 Views: 169 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2

curious, when does something stop being an adventure game?

if something has mechanics from other genres but barely uses them \ only uses them as basic mechanic (aka movement) could they still be considered an adventure game if their entire focus is on story?

Host

While a focus on story is needed for something to be an adventure game, having a focus on story does not make something an adventure game. For example, RPGs are also heavily story focused. But the main gameplay loop that progresses you through the game in an RPG is battles, and the main gameplay loop that progresses you through an adventure game is puzzles. So the answer is that it could have some other elements not usually found in adventure games, but what is the main gameplay loop? What is the primary thing the player is doing to progress through the game? Answer that and you probably have your answer.

My idea is that well, it depends if the theme would fit with it, is a sidescrolling adventure game with no dialogue about connecting with someone, and one of the ways I want to make the NPC feel real is by making them try and encourage the player to do specific actions - ex. jumping together (doesn't make a lot of sense on paper but will a lot more on-screen). there is no twitch gameplay in it or even any actual challenge, there is I think one section I want where the player jumps upwards, the question is, if there is no real challenge and the game is entirely story focused to the point where every single mechanic is used to enhance story beats and not to challenge, would it still be considered an adventure game?

i think it's similar to how Night in The Woods uses the mechanic, it's used to tell the story but not the main crux of it.