Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions? Post here! Sticky

A topic by AMES Showcase created Mar 08, 2023 Views: 254 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Host

If you have any questions about the competition, post here and we'll get them answered!!

Submitted (1 edit)

Hello, I was wondering that if I were on a team for the game showcase and there was another team in the showcase as well that hasn't hit its limit, would it be possible to be part of that team as well? (as being no restrictions said in the rules)

Host

@Kirukle:

There are no rules against being on multiple teams, in fact we've had a student on two teams who placed in both!

Having said that: Our RECOMMENDATION is to not do that unless there's extenuating circumstances - the student above was in a game art class in one period and a game programming another period, so entered once in each class. It'd be a violation of the spirit of the rule to have the same team enter the contest with two different rules (and I would hope that their advisor would say "we're not gonna do that here").

Ultimately it's up to the teams' advisor *BUT* our recommendation would be "no". An exception might be something like sound - there's not enough sound people in the class to put one on each team, but one sound person splits themself across a couple teams. IMHO in any other case the time would be better spent upgrading/polishing/etc the 'first' game rather than being part of two.

Submitted

What is the recommended screen resolution for the games (and animations?) Specifically, what is the resolution of the projector system at PSSC?

Host

1920 x 1200 is the native resolution on that projector.

Given that, I would recommend teams NOT exceed that resolution, and if you're going to scale down you should stay at 16:10 ratio.

960x600 might be easier for teams as it will scale nicely and is an easier pixel size to work with.

I know of a Unity Asset called Editor Cools (https://github.com/datsfain/EditorCools). You can use it to do some new stuff in the inspector in unity (I don't know most of the stuff it does as I only use it for 1 thing which is '[EditorCools.Button("Name of button here")]' which you can put in front of a method in your code to call it from inside the inspector. I do this because its faster to press that button whenever I'm testing things than enter play mode, test it with a button component or something similar, and then exit playmode since I don't have to wait for playmode starting and stopping. This won't actually add anything to my game, the only thing it's helpful for to me is debugging methods, but it's not code I made myself so I am pretty sure it breaks the rule of everything needed to be made yourself. Would it make sense to exempt certain assets like this from that rule, since 1: it's free and 2: the game doesn't actually change from it? If not, would that change if I used it until we actually present our game at which point I remove it from my project entirely, or do I need to just not use it at all.

Host

Third Party Assets (TPA) need to be approved prior to use but in many cases CAN be used per the rules. Answering more broadly so if other people have similar questions:

The general criteria is that TPA requests should NOT be things that students should reasonably be expected to do at their level (for example, character controller assets should not be used by skill center students) and shouldn't be such a substantial part of the game that students weren't responsible for their own key features. There should also be no "licensing barriers" involved in using the assets.

Given that, after review we feel comfortable approving the "Editor Cools" asset for use in the contest, providing that it is cited as being a tool used in your credits and/or documentation. Although that is not a hard requirement of the asset itself, it's part of our rules for TPA use.

I am wondering if I can use a plugin that's helps with animation states in Unity and makes it easier to use in code and It seems along the lines of the reasons given for Editor Cools so I was wondering if it would acceptable to use DOTween in this project

Link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/dotween-hotween-v2-27676

Host

Yup. It fits our criteria!

Like editor tools above, you need to cite it in credits/documentation but otherwise you're good to use it :)