SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions pertaining to open sourcing and assets

A topic by LasagnaCake created Mar 02, 2024 Views: 144 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted (1 edit)

I have a few questions pertaining to assets and open-sourcing:

1. In regards to the open-sourced nature, what license should be used? Does it need to be 100% non-restrictive, like the MIT license, or can it have restrictions - like “disallowed use in AI and generative projects” and the like?

If the jam itself disallows the use of AI, then the submissions should also be allowed to forbid its usage in it, right?

Or is it “open source” in the sense of “source available”?

2. Does the project’s source code and files have to be publicly available during the entire duration of the jam? If not, then when, and for how long, does it have to be available for?

3. Are engines with non-standard building methods (makefiles, build scripts, etc.) allowed?

Due to the way game engine that I currently plan on using works, building directly from the GitHub repo would require the inclusion of the engine’s entire source code, because of the folder structure the engine requires and the way the game engine builds.

Would it be allowed for the inclusion of only the game’s source code and assets, as long as build instructions are provided?

Host

1. No license is needed, open source in this context just means source available. This has been said in other threads.

2. Yeah it needs to be available for the duration of the jam, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see it. What happens after the jam ends I don't care.

3. Your repo should have everything needed to build the project in whatever context you made the game. If your game is made with Unreal, I should be able to build it after opening the scenes in Unreal. Otherwise I'd be asking for you to host the entire Unreal Engine which you have pointed out is ridiculous.