Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Godot 3.X vs Godot 4.X

A topic by yaminoodle created Jul 21, 2023 Views: 329 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+4)

Hi Godot community! A thing to note is that Godot 3.X source code will not work in Godot 4.X and  vice versa. Therefore I think that it is very important that we clearly label on our games which version of Godot was used. Do you agree?

This is a good point since it can't be determined just by looking at the files (altough opening the editor is surefire way to know). One difference would be that 3.x projects have .import folder whereas 4.x projects have .godot folder in them. However, including these with the project is not required since they will be regenerated upon opening the project if they are not present (they include cache files).

Personally I can work on projects from both versions, but I would like to know what other godotters are up to. If I'm going to do day one, I'd like to hear some preferences. My take is that while 4.x has many improvements, web export support is a bit lacking atm. Which is, frankly put, a big downside for jam projects because download only games tend to get smaller amount of plays and ratings. On the other hand, this jam's concept is quite different so maybe it's Godot 4's time to shine?

I work with Windows and GDScript and I've been able to put out web builds (but I know the Mono version can't export to web).

Submitted

I agree with yaminoodle 

Not sure if i can make an entry for day 1, but in case I will certainly clearly indicate the version of Godot used and the scripting language adopted (Gdscript..) in the title.

Submitted

I feel as if we should use Godot 4.x because of its new and improved features :)

Submitted

Sadly, I can't work with Godot 4.x, so I will use Godot 3.5.