Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Barking Dogs Never Bite.

A topic by A-BELL created Oct 11, 2020 Views: 261 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(30 edits)

Due to the difficulty of how Twitter and Instagram work, we chose to post the full DevLog here

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

Who Are We? I'm Glad You Asked...

We are a group of developers from Brazil. We are studying a lot about game development and other factors that involve culture and how to express ourselves in a meaningful way in the independent industry worldwide. The original group is coming 100% from Salvador, Brazil. But we are looking to expand in search of new horizons!    
       You can find us at:

═───────◇───────═ 

Bark?

Barking Dogs Never Bite is a game being produced in the Godot Engine. A story driven game about a depressive detective who dreams of resting, but by a malicious coincidence of fate, he returns to work exactly in the sacred temple of rest: a SPA. The game is a mix of Visual Novel + Runner games. The whole gameplay process is a attempt to connect both gameplay styles in a more abstract and innovative way.

═───────◇───────═

Day... Zero?

Let's say the project started before the "JAM" actually started. Some ideas were discussed within the group and we came up with new concepts and discussed the script and gameplay:

•    We came to the conclusion that the game will be a mix of Runner and Visual Novel. Our inspirations are based heavily on Helltaker and Super Mario Run, mixing the simple gameplay with a storytelling and more focused story driven scenes;
  •     The script has begun to be written before the DevTober starts. We discussed a lot about what we wanted to do with the history! We decided that narrative will be focused on Non-sense + Dark suspense  characteristics inspired on the Danganronpa Series and Broken Minds(Kowareta-Kokoro Series);    
  •     Endless Run would have dynamic conversation scenes while the normal gameplay runs. But this looks hard to do now so we decided to look for a MVP;

═───────◇───────═

Where 2 Arrive? What 2 Eat? Why Still Alive?

We want the game to have a balanced suspense and quite a bit of weirdness while the history continues. We are thinking about where we have arrived and where we want to arrive continuing on. We have some traumas with "non-finished-production" 'cause our latests GameJam's. The point we want to reach is the basics of game development. We are calling it a MVP(Minimum Viable Product).

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝

(4 edits)

Road To Four

═───────◇───────═

(Day Zero - Day 4)

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

The Characters
A Simple Sprite Test of our VN/Dialog Plugin In Godot Engine.

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝

Programming

We are making significant progress. These days, we have been working on completing the Visual Novel system. We had problems with the development due to setbacks in the personal life of the devs. Luckily, in the end we made considerable progress.  

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

Doge
A Simple Test Of Porpotions feat. DOG

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝

Screenplay

I started writing the "extra" story paths of Visual Novel and helping the Game Designer with the characters' conversations while on the Runner-like gameplay side. In the end, we were able to expand the script and the gameplay in an interesting way.     

═───────◇───────═

Design

We rethought many parts of the gameplay and arts. We changed a lot of things! Now, the game will have depth levels and special systems for each battle. We focus on making the battle and runner system as connected as possible with the script and the VN-inspired parts.

(3 edits)

Already In The Five

═───────◇───────═

(Day 4 - 5'5)

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

The New Custom-VNPlugin is complete!

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝

Programming: This week was slower than the previous week in terms of production. Some changes needed to be made in the way the image of the characters was shown on the screen. However, we finalized all the technologies we needed for the dialogue part of the game (saying this on our knees and praying to be really finished, but I think so).

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

Helena To Irene

The New 2 Characters

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝

Screenplay/Direction: The script has remained unchanged in this time. With the script finished, I focused more on directing the other participants. As a beginner, I imagine it was a bit of a failure, but I think about the things I made a mistake and how to correct them. I will focus on learning new techniques and new ways of directing the project.

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

Acleida, the ESPer

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝

Design: We complete the sprites of the characters. It was an interesting learning task where I acquired new skills related to drawing in general. Now I'm focused on studying and background drawing techniques for scenery. Facing some clarifications about the real functioning of the programming to be used and the themes of each character defined, this week was developed the basis for the level design of the Runner-esque gameplay of each NPC individually. The mechanics were revised and the mobility was redefined to avoid too much loss of control of the player over the character, due to this issue, the map also had to be changed. Runner gameplay’s backgrounds were partially defined and started.

╔═════ ❖ ═════╗

The Priest and the Detective

═───────◇───────═

╚═════ ❖ ═════╝