Tags

[Devlog] A Cursed Traveler's Tale

A topic by ~Sterki Herz~ created Oct 03, 2020 Views: 426 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 9
(1 edit)
Hi, hi~
I'm very happy to make this devblog! 

A little about me and this project:

You can call me Waffles and I'm an artist but I've always been into games since very little! So I've been wanting to make my very first visual novel when I was 11.  I've always been a big fan of RPG games and Adventure Point & Click too and thought that I might want to include that in my Visual Novel! So time passed and life got in the way and I kinda abandoned that project...UNTIL some time ago when I looked at it and was like I need to finish this! So...this is why I've joined this jam! 

About the game:

The game is called A Cursed Traveler's tale. It is about Fanstasy/Comedy, Adventure, Dark Magic and Time travel!

Here's the game story:

And the features planned are:
  • A character creation at the beggining of the game;
  • Custom name and pronouns  for the player;
  • Adventure game style gameplay;
  • An inventory, money and shop system;
  • Phone message system;
  • In-game Calendar with events!
  • Jobs, HP system,  stats and cooking/crafting system with REAL recipes!
  • 5 routes (2 female characters and 3 male characters), all with different endings depending on player choices;
  • Other Dating sim mechanics;
  • CG gallery and unlockable content;
  • And more!

Before this jam, many of these features had already been implemented but just for testing purposes since I was not expecting to get this project to something for people to play. It was just my way of learning and I was having a lot of fun...but then I thought that It would be nice to see if I could actually get a demo and make an actual game in the end. I got so hooked up with the story and characters that I wanted it to be a an actual game!

So, for this jam I've promised myself that I would upgrade the old code and re-write the story and actually take this old project of mine and make something nice with it~

I've found amazing people along the way who had helped with this little project but I'm mostly doing it all by myself~ I'm doing GUI, Sprites, Items, Backgrounds and Story on my own and I did the code too but since I am not a programmer I've been stuck with some parts of it so I've found great people who were willing to help~

You'll find more info about this game on it's official game page here! And I'll try to keep this devblog updated~

Okay, enough talk! Let me show you some images~

First some BG sketches:

I still don't have Sprites to show since I am working on them right now but I'll update this when I'm done!

And here's some screenshots of gui:

You'll be able to cook! The player will unlock recipes that other characters will teach them~

There's a character creator at the beggining of the game, with custom pronouns!

A working phone with different features, like a map to travel to locations!

You'll have your very own PC to upgrade different stats! You'll need them for getting some specific love interests routes and to advance in the story~

And this is just a quick example of how the choices and the dialog look like!

Welp, that's all for now! I'll update this again once I make more progress with characters~

Thank you so much for reading this and remember to never abandon your dreams!

Submitted

Beautiful art work - I really liked seeing the background sketches showing the construction and your talent :) 

Ahh~ You are so kind, thank you so much! 

Just a quick update~~

Characters and Character Creator are coming very soon...! I'll make another update with all of them~ 

For now, here's  a quick sketch for the character creator art!

Submitted

Following! Love the backgrounds and character sketches! 

Thank you!! >.<

(+1)

Hi, hi! It's been a while!

I'm done with the character creator for 'female' body type and I'll work on 'male' body type next! Also I'd like to share the Game Cover I've done too! It features the main characters~ Auden (whose profile I'll upload in here very soon) and Heather (She is the Main Character. The player will be able to name her, customize her appeareance and pronouns too!)

I know it's a small update but I want to make an actual post once I have all of the character designs done~

See you soon!

(+1)

Hiya~ Just letting you know that I'll keep working on this project after the 20th! 

New updates coming up!!

(+1)

Ahh~ I've finally got to finish some character sketches! For the demo, I'll have to stick to these sketches. The full version will have final art!

Here's how some characters sketches look like!

As soon as I'm done with some Bgs I'll share them in here too!

(+1)

Post Mortem!

So...this has been a very long and nice journey!

I've learned so much, not only about coding or games but algo about storytelling and how to get the message I want to send to be received the way it was intended to.  

I've always loved to come up with stories and characters but never really thought that I would, one day, want to share them with the world. I was too shy for that. But then I thought, why not?

The idea for joining this Jam was to get to work once and for all on this project and to make an actual demo. I've been playing around with this project for a while but it was only something I did for fun and just for practice. I never thought I would be interested in making a great story and share it with others. 

Then before I even noticed, I've started adding features I'd like to see on a game and came up with interesting characters, their backstories and built a whole story for the game.

I was a bit hesitant to join a gamejam, considering I am no programmer I thought I would never be able to get to make a game by myself. But after a while of practice and learning a couple new things I got to make something decent. And I'm happy with it!

This game jam has helped me work on my project regularly, with a goal in mind - But not everything was peaches and cream! I had found myself dealing with a lot of stress, college, work and some personal issues. Nonetheless, whenever I felt down and with no energy to keep on working on this project, thinking I was simply not good enough. I would remind myself how much I've struggled to get where I am now and how nice it would be to see this project as an actual game. A project I've been working on, first as a practice thingy, and now as an actual game. A project I've abandoned a long time ago thinking it wouldn't become anything other than just some random coding snippets.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it and I wish everyone good luck and remind you to never give up!

Submitted

Hey! your art-style looks amazing! Really love the style of the  sketches too. I would go for a game with that style if i where you would look so original! Very nice UI too. During my project I found out I'm Horrible at doing the ui/ux part :P

Sounds great that you took the step in trying to make your own game and getting it to work :) Think its a good thing to join game-jams, just to force yourself to do something new or as extra motivation to work on a project. Depending on the gamejam :) I did encounter a bunch of the same errors on mac I'm afraid... Don';t know what program you used to make this but i could skip the errors so that was great. I can send you a screenshot of the error if you want?

But overall good luck with the rest of this project!

Hi! Thank you for your kind words! >.<

And Thank you for letting me know about the errors! If you can share a screenshot that would be great!

Submitted

Submitted

And if you have to much time on your hands, my game could really use nice and cute UI graphics ;)