SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

BreezeRun DevLogs - Lukaniko

A topic by Lukaniko created Oct 24, 2022 Views: 107 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit)

Welcome!

Hello everyone, welcome to my devlogs! I'll be documenting the development of a game I worked on long ago but haven't had the time to continue due to school. Now that I'm on my reading week I hope to finish as much as possible within 5 days. The game's name is BreezeRun!

This is my first #devtober so I'm excited to try and push myself towards a more refined prototype of the project.

I've participated in a few other game jams before and have some experience in art and programming. I like Nintendo games, A Hat In Time, and fantasy aspects seen in games like LOZ.

What is BreezeRun?

BreezeRun is a 2.5D Endless Runner where the player controls an elemental robot who is able to switch between fire and water. With this mechanic players can get past elemental obstacles. Character Elemental Forms

Fire can't go through fire (Solid objects) but can evaporate water and go through it.

Water can't go through water but can extinguish the fire and go through it.

That is the essence of the mechanic. It does sound complex and I do get that it may lead to unnecessary confusion like "Why can't I go through an obstacle if I'm the same element as it?" If you have any suggestions on potential alternatives let me know!

Gameplay

LMB - Switch elements

Space Bar - Jump

All the animations and objects in the scene are temporary and will get replaced in the future. (Sorry for the small sized gif!)

Week Schedule

Here is what I hope to achieve every day by Friday (It's Sunday night as I write this)

Sunday - Design how the Procedural Generation will work (Different islands with preset obstacles?)

Monday - Program basics of procedural generation

Tuesday - Make islands spawn further away and move quicker as time progresses. Maybe slowly make camera zoom out based on distance?

Wednesday - 3D model 3 houses/buildings (maybe just 2 for now) and make clouds with Strings attached to the sky

Thursday - Make some islands attached with vine bridge. Fire will burn them but staying as water won't.

Friday - Rework the character's animations, Implement a high score tracker and a death screen

I'll try to follow this schedule to the best of my ability, and may even add more necessary features. I'd like to prioritize functionality over aesthetics so I'm not too worried about not getting the art done.

(2 edits)

Day 1-3 (Monday - Wednesday)

Progress has been slow because I've been following a tutorial but it's for 2D while I am combining 2D and 3D spaces, meaning I can't use the same raycast2D and 2D collision detection. I had to rework a lot of my old code to get it functional, but now jumping actually detects ground compared to before.

Visually there is not much to show, only fixing the many bugs that I encountered. I am behind schedule and will try doing much more in the next few days.