Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progress

A topic by logicandchaos created Apr 07, 2021 Views: 122 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Hey here is what I got so far, I'd love to get some feedback. It took me about 3 days to make the level and mechanics for both games and just need to add sound, menus and polish.

https://logicandchaos.itch.io/duality-rotating-maze

https://logicandchaos.itch.io/duality-gravity-inversion

Host

I played them yesterday, and they’re pretty good considering A) It took you three days in total, and B) You had to make two games in total. However, I feel that “taking place in the same world” is kind of cheating unless you make a strong theme in both games, like, say, a stylised desert, or something like that. But 3 days is 3 days, so fair enough. And also, remember! You don’t have to rush! It’s a month long game jam.

I just played them both, and I really like the idea of having two games navigate the same maze in different ways. For the rotating maze, It was fun to try to figure out how to rotate the screen in a way that would affect different objects in different ways, and then have to react when they bounced the wrong way. And I loved how the second half redefined the way you think about movement, plus you have to deal with the consequences of where you left the spikes before you reached the goal.  The only recommendation I can make is that I wished I could see more of the maze at once, It was a little annoying when an unexpected spike from off screen ended my run. Overall, very simple yet engaging. I feel like it would be fun to speedrun.

The gravity inversion one was fun too, I enjoyed bouncing back and forth from floor to ceiling, and I liked the sense of momentum. The player felt a little unresponsive, I've found that adding a little "kick" as soon as a button is pressed in addition to a simple acceleration force does a lot for the game feel. Breaking up the maze into rooms was a neat idea, it made it seem more distinct from the rotating maze. To add an element of similarity as well as another interesting gameplay element, you could include the spikes from the rotating maze in the same places in the inversion maze, and have them switch gravity when you do. And maybe it could have the same two goals as the other game, to fit the duality theme better. Just some thoughts. I look forward to seeing both of these games when they're all polished up with nice graphics and sound. Thanks for sharing!