SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Essential Tips for Thriving in Your First Game Jam Sticky

A topic by AquaduckStudio created May 01, 2024 Views: 249 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Host(+1)

Hey Duck Duck Jammers!

Whether it's your first time diving into a game jam or you're a seasoned jammer, here are some nuggets of wisdom that have served me well across numerous jams:

1. Submit Early
    Don't wait until the last minute! You can submit your game and still update it before the submission deadline. Avoid the panic of being 99% done but missing the deadline by just that 1% still in progress.
  2. Choose Your Engine Wisely
    I've seen too many teams disband or submit lackluster games because they got bogged down in engine development during the jam. My advice? Have your engine ready to go before the jam starts. This way, you can focus all your energy on creating your game.
  3. Be Kind
    Remember, the game development community is tight-knit. Winning a game jam by undermining others is not only unsporting, it's shortsighted. People might forget the specifics of your game, but they鈥檒l always remember how you treated them. Let鈥檚 make this a supportive and friendly competition!

Looking forward to seeing the creativity and collaboration that I know this community is all about. Let鈥檚 make this Duck Duck Jam one to remember!

Happy Jamming!

Submitted(+4)

Very good tips!! Thanks!

noted

(+3)

This is going to be the first jam I ever take part in, and one of the first games I'll ever code. Wish me luck!

Host

I believe in you! 馃

(+1)

Sorry to disappoint but I've had to leave the jam due to needing to study for upcoming tests. I just don't have time for gamedev :(

Host

I understand. Good luck on your tests!

This will be my second Jam- and second Game on Itch