Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Should I Participate Even Though I Suck

A topic by FlyingSquirrel89 created Aug 17, 2020 Views: 566 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted(+2)

I have watched many dev logs on game jams and have really enjoyed them, but am not sure if I should participate. I don't feel like I'm good enough to do more than a regular platformer with bad music / level design. However, I also know that everyone has to start somewhere. What should I do?

Submitted(+1)

yep its good to participate. Even if you don't manage submit, at least its a good learning opportunity. But if you submit, then thats even better! Good luck! 

I've learnt the most through game jams cuz it forces you to understand stuff quickly so you can add it to your game. Just try it and get as much done as you can. Don't worry if you weren't able to finish your game on time or anything like that(ps. I've done that multiple times). Just have fun and learn as much as you can. 

(1 edit) (+1)

Just like extra credits said “if you make a 1 room platformer with bad collision, you should be proud of that, you made a game”. Practice is great and everyone has to start somewhere.  And also extra credits said that they will welcome all skill levels here.  So if you want to I would say Defenitly yes.

My brother is new to gamedeving and I have never touched a game creation engine, and yet we still are going in. Heck yeah you should.

(+1)

You don't even need to know to code to participate. Even if you are using a proffessional game engine. I did a challenge where I made a game with no custom scripts in unity. Guess what? I use character controller with outside camera to mess with physics of objects. It was awesome. I would be glad to help you through this jam. Just give me your discord and I'll make a script here, some music there.

hey, he didnt reply lol, but im in the same situation as him. you think you could help?

sure!!! Just pop down your discord!

I can help you if you give me a discord, or some other way to message you.

Only read the title, not the post body. Answer is yes. Answer is always yes.

Submitted

game jams are where you learn the most. Enter! And enjoy the process. It’s a great time to understand how to Crete games in a time limit. And get feedback 

Submitted

Absolutely!  It's always a fantastic growth oppurtunity regardless of how it goes.  

Here is a video by Jonas Tyroller with some tips on how to have a good game jam experience:

I look forward to playing your game!

Submitted

Go for it!! :)

Submitted

you should participate.

Because i am an amatuer myself with 1 month experience in unity.

But jam takes care of everything.

Still i made a very good game just with four codes. In brackey game jam

https://jadegenius.itch.io/last-step