Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Newbie to Game Jams

A topic by numanjaved created May 10, 2023 Views: 314 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hello guys, I am a beginner game developer, finished one course of GamedevTV and not have proper skills right now. 

And its my first time thinking of taking a part in this jam, I am very nervous about it. what do you guys suggest as a newbie to me.

PS: I did make 2 very very small prototypes on itch, and I want to one day have a good indie game studio, working on my first paid game part time.

Submitted(+3)

For my own personal experience with last year's jam, my main suggestion is to quickly settle on what kind of game you want to make and keep it as simple as possible. Once you have something which runs, you can try adding more complexity to it. Having a basic game which works is much better than a complicated one which doesn't! The other (more important) thing I'd say is to treat it as a fun learning experience; doing last year's jam really helped me to grasp some very fundamental things which I didn't really understand at the time.

There was a livecast leading up to last year's jam which might be helpful (as well as the other videos in the playlist):
Or if you want a more succinct video, try this one:
Submitted

Thank you so much for sharing, i watched the first video completely, and I have some idea now. It means a lot that you shared.

Submitted(+1)

Sure thing, I'm glad it was helpful! :)

Привет! Если нужен будет в компанию сценарист, то я с радостью присоединюсь 😊 

Марина Гребенникова — игровой сценарист

http://marina-scriptwriter.tilda.ws/

Быстро отвечаю в тг @Marina_Grebennikova

Deleted post
Submitted(+1)

From the discussions and information I got, it feels like this game is going to be just one level. 

Free course is a good incentive but mainly the reason I am in this jam is to practice, and take part in a community event where others are doing the same.