Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

3D vs 2D

A topic by ToadPole created May 23, 2019 Views: 1,360 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+1)

I have heard that 2D games less time but I have never learned how to make 2D art/code/effects. I like both 2D and 3D games so that's not an issue. I am much better at blender than anything else and can get low-poly stuff out extremely quickly. I am using Unity as my engine although I am enough of a beginner to switch fairly easily. Advice would be appreciated.

(+1)

Most people think that a 2D game is less complex to make than a 3D game with the same amount of depth or gameplay. And mathematically, they're right; there are probably more ways to fail in 3D than there are ways to succeed in 2D. But that's assuming you have an equal amount of experience in both formats, whether lots or very little or none at all. If that's not true in your case and you know you would start with a bigger lead by doing a 3D game, then you should do that instead.

The idea is to keep it simple. You'll have limited time and resources so you want to apply most of your creativity to how your game will work and how to implement the theme. You don't want to waste any effort on figuring out something you've never seen before, so it's best to simplify what you can and try to work within constraints you already know about. You want to use what knowledge you already have, and avoid needing to pick up new tools in the middle of the jam. If you have the experience building 3D games and working with 3D-focused tools, then that experience may be more of an asset to you. If you're more comfortable making and troubleshooting and polishing a 3D game quickly, then using what you know is how you can simplify the process for yourself.

Of course, making a good and successful and perfect game is not really the purpose of participating in a game jam. Challenging yourself and building your experience is a big part of game jams for many, and it's a good motivator to try something new. If you wanted to take the opportunity to figure out some 2D game design in the months leading up to the jam and then see what you could come up with, you could probably get a lot from that experience. No need to, though; just finishing in time with a working game would be an achievement as well, especially if it's the first game jam you're participating in. That will definitely be most of my focus, that's for sure.

Submitted

Thanks, really clarifying.

Glad to help!

For some inspiration, you could think about making a 2.5D game. This Stack Exchange answer does pretty well at explaining what that means in games. I like the classification into "2D graphics with 3D logic" and "3D graphics with 2D logic"; it might be a good way for you to simplify one aspect of a project while utilizing other available skills.

Submitted

That’s what I’ll do I can have the ease of 2D mechanics but the familiarity of 3D graphics.

I am 3D designer 3Dsmax and I am looking for a team or programer atleast. Contact me on FB: Nikoleta Zhecheva

https://www.behance.net/nikoleta_zhecheva

Wait until you get an idea for the theme then think if you can do it in 3d or 2d based on your skills. but at the end of the day do what you will enjoy. 

Good Luck.

Submitted

You have bigger chances if you go with 3D, in my opinion. Its not that popular as 2D in game jam so you will have less competition in my opinion.