Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Using AI as a tool?

A topic by Robo0890 created Jun 09, 2023 Views: 225 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4

I'm not that great at drawing, or any form of illustrated 2D graphics for that matter, but I do know how to use Stable Diffusion to take my rough sketches and turn them into usable game assets. This process allows me to have complete creative control over the art, but saves me huge amounts of time that I could spend making the game better to play. 

TLDR; 

Are we allowed to use AI generated art work for our games?

Read the fourth rule, should answer your question.

(-1)

I realize this, but the rule states AI generated, not AI assisted as I intend. There is a difference in that assisted AI allows for the complete creativity of the devoloper, without the artistic limitations that would otherwise result in a worse project. I do not intend to generate code or use it to tell me how to make it. 

I still have 100% creative freedom, which is the point of the Jam, right?

My confusion is AI generated vs assisted, and which was allowed or not.

I can't speak for the jam administrators, but I think that most people don't make that generated/assisted distinction. Also, even if it is technically allowed, using AI content tends to put some people off (esp. in these indie creator scenes), so it may be inadvisable. There are many sources of free, human-made game assets (e.g., OpenGameArt, kenney.nl) if you aren't confident with your 2D art skills.