Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Haunted Rainbow Jam Feedback Sticky

A topic by JustKay created Oct 19, 2016 Views: 478 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Host

Hey one and all! Thanks so much for joining us on on our first Rainbow Jam. I'd love to hear your thoughts, critiques, suggestions, etc so that I can keep making Rainbow Jams better.

(+1)

Just wanted to say that I noticed this jam last night and I'm really excited! Too bad there aren't more entrants yet but having consecutive jams should help. As someone who doesn't fit into the normal world, I like the sense of community I get from participating in queer creator spaces so I'm excited for the future ones, too!

Host (1 edit)

Aw~ thanks! Yeah I knew this one would be a little sparse especially since I literally put it together sitting in the hotel after a really awesome event (if you haven't checked out GaymerX and its events you definitely should). But I wanted to make it a monthly thing to hopefully help grow a really awesome community on here around it. I even set the bar low for this first one with 5 entries.

You're welcome for sure. :) Yep, I know of GaymerX!

Actually I do have a (hopefully) constructive criticism.
I feel like having prizes is tacky. Having winners and losers of actual goods doesn't fit well with encouraging people to make personal things or with friendly community-building for marginalized folk.

Plus, the prizes are too small for hours and hours of work. Sometimes big prizes can be tempting but that's a greedy feeling so I don't know if that would even be positive either. As it is maybe it's even kinda patronizing, like doing a favour for someone and then they throw you a quarter as thanks. :p

Host

Thanks for the feedback! I know the prizes are small but I wanted to do a little something for people taking time out to participate even though I know it's not a lot. I think moving forward I might only do prizes once a season so I can make sure they are good enough to be worth it as I still really like the idea of making sure you awesome game creators get a little something

Submitted

Is this jam happening? I swear there were submissions, but now they've disappeared...

Host

Hi! Yes the jam is still happening. One of the submissions was a fake one with a game that didn't follow the rules (as you can see Rainbow Jams have very few of those) and was just submitting to be submitted. The other was a mistake on my part as my brain misread the numbers on the game page created and read it as something that was created pre-jam. I've already reached out to that creator apologizing and asking them to resubmit.

Submitted

Good to know, thanks!

Submitted

Hello! I am an itch.io noob and don't know how to contact you (JustKay) other than here! Sorry for the delay, too. Very pleased to have been one of the contributors to the jam, and that you awarded me prizes! Let me know what to do next.

Host

(I'll probably use alot of ! in this message so I apologize in advance)

Hi glitterflounc!

So happy you joined us for the Haunted Rainbow Jam and congrats! You should be able to reply to the email you received from me via the Rainbow Jam and itch.io that discusses the winners. Just include your Steam username in the response to receive your prizes!

I hope that you'll join us for the Fall Rainbow Jam that starts this Sunday! Also feel free to follow me on Twitter, @JustThinkingKay, as I regularly post about Rainbow Jam there.