On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What's everyone got in mind for this jam?

A topic by Thomas || New Madras created Oct 18, 2020 Views: 261 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted

I don't have an idea yet but I'd like to contribute something. A discussion might help!

HostSubmitted

Good thinking! I'm quite interested in the relationship between carnival and insurrection that Graeber identifies, so I'm currently thinking that through. My work kind of drifts between games and essays, so not sure which pole the final product is going to go more towards... But that's the point of this jam! Very flexible with respect to format! Really anything engaging with the topics listed is welcome. What others thoughts are folks having?

Submitted

Have you seen Barbara Ehrenreich's Dancing in the Street? It is a book about the history of public joy and resistance. It talks about Carnival a lot.

Nothing about Graeber work feels game-y to me so I like that the jam has space for pretty much anything inspired by him. Though I definitely do want to make a game, heh.

HostSubmitted

Oh fantastic! No, I haven't read this, but that looks like a great connection. Might not be able to get it into this project, but a valuable resource and on my list of reading for sure!

And yes, precisely! I loved that sense of a connection there, with Graeber, but also that there is so much open space to explore!

Well, obviously, I did this: https://blackskyredvisitor.com/2020/06/14/pbta-ifying-debt-the-first-5000-years/

I'd like to get that laid out and illustrated. Perhaps add onto it? If anyone wants to partner with me to do that, we can certainly work out some sort of profit-sharing agreement or I can pay upfront if it's not too much money, or something along those lines. 

I could also add content onto that if people think that anything more should be added, I'd love that feedback. 

As for his other work... 

Well, his two books on the subject of kingship could be read and composed into a guide for how to analogize his ideas into fantasy worldbuilding, and mechanics for them could even be invented. This feels like it might best be done with an OSR orientation? 

He wrote an immense amount about imagination, creativity, and magical traditions, any of which could be grafted into one or more magic systems to be made into a universal supplement for fantasy games. 

The full list (as near as I can tell) is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Graeber_bibliography

Of these, and thus far both unread by and unmentioned by me in this missive, is "the false coin of our own dreams", which David always considered to be his unappreciated magnum opus. No idea how to make it into anything. 

Perhaps as a supplement with rules for playing traders in a weird fantasy setting? 

Submitted

Hello, Black Cat.

I like your debt moves. I think they're interesting. There's a neat loop there thats really well-formulated  I don't really have much constructive to say because I think I have different tastes. There's some tension between making something realistic and making a game. The choices you made were probably not the ones I would've made. 

I like your idea of turning On Kings into something gameable. I haven't read the book but seems like something that could be done.

I was thinking about Graeber's anarchism more than his anthropology (I realise they blend). I'm sometimes a bit queasy about using real-world anthropology to inspire the fantastical because I still don't fully grasp where erasure and appropriation begin. I'm sure there's a way to do it but not for me right now. That said, I think you're right that there's so much wonderful anthropological work that could be injected into our understanding of the medieval part of medieval fantasy. And it's definitely more gameable than the anarchism, haha.

I mean, I absolutely think that you *could* game out his anarchism. Just read through Direct Action + the Democracy Project and take notes in the form of mechanics.

If it helps, do it like this: https://blackskyredvisitor.com/2020/06/29/alignment-world-a-dungeon-world-hack-a...

Anarchism is like a three stage rocket. The first stage is a set of moral commitments. The second stage is a series of desperate actions. The third stage is a network of interlocking understandings. Ultimately, the anarchism and the anthropology aren't separable -- they converge. 

Submitted

One thing I've been puzzling over ... could you design a game for identifying and creating transformative discourse around bullshit within the working practices of an organization? If we assume some kind of co-op or non-profit group or organization as the intended users. On Graeber's theory, something is pretty much bullshit if you say it's bullshit. But he also acknowledges that people in certain positions (upper management) won't be able to recognise bullshit, and/or won't be honest about it, and he also notes that sometimes organizations are arranged in ways to obfuscate what is bullshit and what isn't.

HostSubmitted

This sounds like a great idea, and totally actionable. Praxis and rules aren't so different! I'm excited to see what you do with this puzzle!