Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Day(s) After (voting) Sticky

A topic by Postmodestie created May 09, 2018 Views: 259 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
HostSubmitted

Thank you all again for your submissions (you made us very happy)! You've all really wielded the art of LCD games gracefully! (You may also have noticed that I get a bit enthusiastic sometimes, that's because I care much for LCD games.)

It was all in all a good success,  exeeding my expectations and the treshold for rewards by 50%!

Now that the developing time of the jam is over (and I'm glad), happy voting for those who haven't yet! (I started the jam with the intention to participate, only to back down then because of time restraints, and finally pulling off an all nighter, and now I'm pouring even more time into it, thanks to all your great work! ;)

THE END

Now all that is left to do is wait for the results (I may be able to speed up time if all ... I think 225 votes ... are in, or all participants agree on it, then onward to some administrative back-and-forth about the rewards.

As promised I'll seriously contemplate the doability of a real device, even Kickstarter might be an option for a larger production scale, once I have the time, which should be this summer.

THE FUTURE

But that doesn't have to be the end just yet!

- For starters, I'm entertaining the idea of inviting everyone to publish your games on mobile. Personally, I'm sporting an Android dev account, which could serve as a low-level entry for publishing, there shouldn't be problems with rights which of course stay with the developer, as well as money, because as I see it the games could be some kind of open source/public domain? (Obviously games that can't be published for Android right away need much more work to make the publishing work.)

LCD games as a product are dead, no question about that, but they still have a sentimental value and are therefore a great nostalgia vehicle, as well as having some advantages for jams (low production time) and enough artistic value to be viable in a small niche.

- Another thing is a recurrent jam: what do you think about repeating this jam regularly,  say every half year, or maybe every four months? I have already some minor ideas I would like to try for it, more on this subject in the lengthy Post-Mortem I'm planning to write once the results are in.

Submitted

But that doesn't have to be the end just yet!
- For starters, I'm entertaining the idea of inviting everyone to publish your games on mobile. Personally, I'm sporting an Android dev account, which could serve as a low-level entry for publishing, there shouldn't be problems with rights which of course stay with the developer, as well as money, because as I see it the games could be some kind of open source/public domain? (Obviously games that can't be published for Android right away need much more work to make the publishing work.)

I'm not sure if people would download such a game, which is relatively small (even compared to mobile games, though I never released a game on Android - just some apps.) Bundling some of the LCD games might work. Not sure how, but possibly only the Unity games, if their developers agree.

Another thing is a recurrent jam: what do you think about repeating this jam regularly,  say every half year, or maybe every four months? I have already some minor ideas I would like to try for it, more on this subject in the lengthy Post-Mortem I'm planning to write once the results are in.

I think it could be cool. I'll keep my comment till you write you Post-Mortem, too keep them all in one place.

225 votes
15*(15-1) = 210

You can't vote on your own game. Anyways I don't think everyone will rate all games. Ludum Dare for example usually has a big shortage of votes. (e.g. in LD39 38.2% of all games did not get the required 20 votes to get a placement. 20 is a (very low) minimal  number to get reliable statistics, which cannot be reached in this jam). So I'd just wait till the end of the countdown. (Which is 3 weeks for LD). Not sure if these statistics apply to a jam where most people were actually in the discord.

Submitted
As promised I'll seriously contemplate the doability of a real device, even Kickstarter might be an option for a larger production scale, once I have the time, which should be this summer.

That would be cool. I got pretty good feedback for my game, and lots of idea to expand gameplay while keeping the format.

I can do this for my entry pretty quick, just need to add some touch screen support

- Another thing is a recurrent jam: what do you think about repeating this jam regularly,  say every half year, or maybe every four months? I have already some minor ideas I would like to try for it, more on this subject in the lengthy Post-Mortem I'm planning to write once the results are in.

I would be up for it. :)

Submitted

I actually made android version after the jam ended. I'm thinking about making some small changes to the scoring in the game and publishing it on the play store. But I have to find out how to do that first :)