Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Skills to Learn!

A topic by TCD_95 created Mar 30, 2020 Views: 332 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

So I am using this game jam as a learning experience, trying new things and such. I was wondering if anyone else was as well, and if so what. 

As to what I am hoping to gain from this jam, the following are all my goals (just an FYI, I use Unity):

• Animating stuff
  • Camera movement and effect.
  • Top Down Shooting & Movement.
  • Music & Sound Effects
  • Setting up a proper store page (Trailer Video & Useful Screenshots).

Good Luck to everyone, have fun!

Submitted(+2)

As to what I am hoping to gain from this jam, the following are all my goals (just an FYI, I use GameBoy Color):

* Optimize spritesheets and palettes

* Maybe getting better at pixel art

* Manage to somehow play music on a GameBoy

* Using one of my favorite spritesheets (zoria)

* Doing and getting better at hardware hackery

* Build/improve my toolchain

Submitted

Wow, that's impressive. Good luck on your project!

Submitted

Well you can basically just walk around and read signs.

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

This is my first game jam, and I decided to challenge myself and make it in just two days. The quality of it isn't great, but I did learn some things about game jams. Mainly:

Making a story is difficult and extremely time consuming. (if you're new to game development like me.)

Submitted

Yeah, time is definitely a major issue when making any game. It gets easier as it goes though, good luck!

(+2)

I'm in a similar boat. I haven't done any game dev for a few years... 

But now that we are living in this social distancing, pandemic world, I decided to use this game jam as an opportunity to teach myself Vulkan. I have a game framework that I've built in C++, but it uses OpenGL and Direct3D. Vulkan seems to be the cool new kid on the block, and it's definitely much more attractive to me given that it is completely cross-platform (even runs on macOS and iOS thanks to MoltenVK). I'm using glfw for windowing and input. Seems like a winning combo.

It's coming along well. Got my first triangle rendered on the screen yesterday. But it is looking like I am going to be scrambling last minute tomorrow to actually build a game for this jam, haha!

(+2)

Okay, change of plans. I'm going to keep on learning Vulkan. But it is EXTREMELY low level... So for now, I'm just going to convert my game framework to OpenGL exclusively, removing the DirectX code.

Submitted

Good luck and welcome back (:

Thanks! Yeah it's been a minute since I've done any game dev... glad to back!

Submitted(+1)

Wow, My First JAM! So Glad I joined this. I actually made a full game! I'm exporting it with about 1 hour 30 minutes till deadline. It's a silly little game but I'm proud of it! Learned A LOT! Before this game jam I had a box that could shot at another box that didn't move. Things I learned: Just about everything involved in the game... lol

Worked with Godot and Krita.

• Animated sprites
  • Simple enemy movement
  • Loading scenes
  • Transferring variables between scenes
  • Signals
  • And the list goes on and on and on...
Submitted (1 edit)

I finally, FINALLY got some procedural generation working and actually understand the code I used to make it happen! That’s all I really cared about for this game and it took most of my time, which is why the game is so simple but I’m very happy with the random result either way! 

https://itch.io/jam/major-jam-isolation/rate/599877

Submitted

This is my first game jam and second game ever(I use unity)

I learned how to do 

- grid based movement

- Animation

- Audio

- How to draw better

- Import pixel art

- And tilmaps

(Yes I know I am a noob by the look of my game)