SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Solo participation

A topic by Efix7 created Feb 20, 2021 Views: 331 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+1)

Hello,

can i participate solo in the competition? I have some new ideas for such short-like gamebook story.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Of course -Its open to anyone

Submitted

I am participating solo. I didn't realise there was even a thing about people taking part in teams. I am sure taking part as a team is great for sharing the workload and being able to bounce ideas, but when you have clear ideas about what you definitely want to, there would be the risk of having to compromise over them.

I have only had one creative collaboration work well, where it was not accepted that either the other person or myself was in charge. They came up with the overall idea, which would not have happened without them, but I did over 90% of the writing. Even then there was some disagreements on how the adventure was to end, which was resolved by the other person finding they no longer had the time to put into the project.

HostSubmitted(+1)

I find this often with writing projects - I think most IF writers - at least of books, tend to write individually alongside artists etc. I haven't found many recent successful collaborations in the community!

I think the idea of grouping up comes from itch.io being predominantly for video games - people see this with an idea that it must be like the other jams!

Submitted

I have been wondering whether artwork should be consideration.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Voters will be able to vote on three criteria:

Overall engagement
Clever use of the 'key' theme
Gamelike elements, items, multiple paths etc

So nothing specifically art based - though of course I imagine good art always sways voters!

Submitted(+1)

Hello again,

I`ve just upload my first project here for the Micro-Gamebook Jam - https://efix7.itch.io/vayan-dechkov-the-mines-of-aldara

I hope everythin is according the rules and if something should be edited please let me know. I have time do edit it.

Thank you!

Submitted

I played it last night. It is my favourite out of the 3 submitted so far.

It is actually surprising how completely different the three adventures are so far both from each other and from mine. Yours is the closest to mine in that we both have combat but mine is a different genre, does not have the visual element yours has but has something else instead.

Submitted

WoW, really!? Thank you very much. I am happy that those 3 adventures, sent so far are so different because the diversity will make the jam more interesting for the public. I have no patience now to play your adventure. :)

Submitted

I haven't submitted mine yet, as I keep coming up with improvements. Like yours, it can be completed in half an hour.

It will be interesting to see how different the adventures not yet submitted will be from each other.

Submitted

Mine will be rather straight forward, I use two variables in it and thats it. Since it is my first gamebook and with the 4 page limit i figured i would play it safe. But I do hope we will have some more of these Micro Gamebook Jams and not just once a year. Maybe once every four months? It also is good for those dipping their toes into creating a gamebook for the first time or returning to it.

Submitted(+1)

The 4 page limit is a good start, because of its small size. I also like small size gamebooks and preffer them to play.

Submitted

I agree that 4 pages is a good size, especially after finding out there is enough room to fit 2,600 words. Others have managed more.

I suspect there are a lot of people would struggle with only 4 pages to write a gamebook in. I've also found in the past adventures I have written have ended up anticlimactic and that problem is so much easier to fix when you can just write more bits, rather than working out how to revise or rewrite what is already there.