Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ❗ ] Pre-jam Introductions & Questionnaire! Sticky

A topic by lysander created 62 days ago Views: 350 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Jam Host

Welcome to My First Game Jam: Summer 2024! For those of you just joining us, it's been a tradition to kick things off with a little getting-to-know-you questionnaire! For the first-time game developer, things can be pretty intimidating... which is why we want to show you you're not alone! This is not a required activity— it's just meant as a way to break into the community for returning jammers and newbies alike.

We'd love for you to share your influences, passions, and jam goals with the rest of us. Who knows — you might meet a potential team member, or even a new friend!

(These questions are entirely optional; they're just here to warm things up, so feel free to skip them as needed!)

Onto the questions!

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself? 

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?  

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?  

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?  

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!  6. What are your goals for this game jam?

For returning jammers:

7. Any advice to new participants?   

8. What can the admins do to improve your jam experience?   

9. What are some of the past works you've made for the jam? Show off your favorites!   

10. Got any question suggestions? Let us know for next year!

(+1)

Hi folks, I go by "vonbluhm" out of habit (or unless I find a better nickname). I've been trying to make a game revolving around a certain concept, but I found out that I've tried to do too much. Now I feel like trying again, so I'm hoping to get some experience and/or find people to cooperate with in the future.

Since I found myself being quite into the use of spheres by fictional characters, I found myself wanting to do something of my own, but I'm not fully sure of the media. Game dev seems to involve a decent amout of coding and math, which shouldn't be too off-putting for me. I have yet to pick a genre, but I guess some of them are more satisfying than others, which is why I have been trying to make a platformer in Godot 4.1, but I felt lost when I got some mechanics done and I needed to tackle level design. Still, I believe that this experience was useful. Once again, I hope to get more experience or someone to talk things with during the jam.

(+3)

Hey! I honestly wanted to help you with your journey, but since I'm not a programmer anymore (I did join this jam last year, but don't worry about me) all I can tell you is to make a gameplay loop, trust me, make short games that last forever and focus on already existing concepts like flappy bird or subway surfers, you're gonna try to make an actual game and get overwhelmed and give up, you need to get used to game development before you tackle the big stuff. I hope this helps.

And by the way, this tip works with (almost) everything, that's (almost) what I'm doing to learn art 👍

Hi there, I'm not sure if I take part in this jam, since I've been busy with another one and I'm not sure where to start. I feel that I should do something, but I can't get myself to start doing things.

(+2)

Hi there! My name is Vanilla, but I go by a couple other names depending on where I am. On here and on the lemmasoft forums I was largely known by missxtake. This is my first time doing the My First Game Jam, and I'm joining with a team of my friends because I haven't managed to make a game in a very long time, and I'd like to change that. I'd also like to take this opportunity to learn Godot--before this I pretty much just made visual novels, but I'd really like to try my hand at making all sorts of games. As far as my favorite games go I play a lot of roguelikes to relax, but I like all kinds of games really...! The game I plan to make this time, though, will be inspired by the famous Our Life, as far as the tone of it goes. 

I do have experience with game development like I mentioned; mostly visual novels in Twine and Ren'py. My first Ren'py game was forever ago (or maybe it wasn't so long?) back around when the default resolution was 800x600... honestly, many of the games I played around that time stick with me even now. 

I'm really passionate about fictional character kissing. I'm hoping to use this game jam as a springboard to learn an engine that will let me make all kinds of games, not just VNs, where you get to indulge in that sort of thing. I think the gameplay can influence someone's perception of a character a lot, as well as the journey they go on with that character; and I think as pieces of art, fictional characters can touch real peoples' lives in very real ways. I may not finish, but I'll do my best!

(+1)

Hello, i go by Marko4ever, and that is my name, Marko. I am a teenager trying to get into game development because i find it very interesting and i think it fits me well. I've joined this game jam because many times I've heard from a few of my friends who have a good amount of experience on their hands that joining game jams is one of the best things i could do because it would give me a set period of time to push myself and try my best. And i can see on this one you encourage true beginners so why not I'll give it a try. 

I really like games that you have a reason to keep playing, like tycoons or sandbox survival games such as minecraft, overall I like replayable games and that is what I want to make, a game someone could enjoy endlessly and i think thats better for me because i dont have the capability to make good story games but i think replayable ones such as tycoons are in my range but before that i will try something a bit easier for me or maybe even try making a tycoon.

I have like 0 experience, apart from the past week where i learned how to make a character move and to add a tile map :/.

By the end of the game jam I'd like to earn a good amount of experience to tackle on bigger projects.

Submitted(+1)

Hello all! I go by Boofgall. I've never been in a game jam before and am very excited to participate.  I have made some pretty poor games in the past using Unity. But have recently switched to Godot and have completed game 6 of the 20 games challenge.  I still consider myself a beginner and have recently took a long hiatus. I though this game jam, my first game jam, would be a fun way to get back into the groove of things. My goal for this game jam is to have fun with the community and if possible, finish a game. I look forward to jamming with all of you :) 

Submitted(+1)

Howdy Y'all! I'm Dire. You can call me AJ as well.  

This is my second jam but it is my first "My First Game" jam. My first jam was the Unreal Game Jam this past year, 2023. I unfortunately got tied up with life and didn't even get a line of code down so I never submitted anything. I'm using this Jam as a judgement free zone to finally finish and submit something.

I grew up with video games. My grandmother being the one to get me into games heavily. I remember staying up all hours of the night playing Zelda and all the Marios on NES and then eventually on the SNES.  I wouldn't come across my favorite games until the first Playstation with Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, and a lot of other titles around that time. By the time I was in high school, I discovered Dungeons & Dragons. It was through those tabletop experiences that made me realize I wanted to make games. However, life is strange as I needed to support myself moving out on my own at 17. I ended up making a living in the Logistics field and warehouse management

I'm an autodidact that has passion for everything cool, from Visual FX , CGI, and Animation in movies to being an avid gamer and how those 2 industries can contribute to each other. I've dabbled in 3d modeling, C++, and Unreal Engine. Honestly, I'm still a newbie to all of it but I've been learning a lot. And by newbie, I mean I've done a few tutorial projects and started a few solo projects but never finished.   I'm currently running a Twitch and Youtube channel of game playthroughs. Thankfully, I have a lot of free time to balance everything out. This shall be a fun experience.

(+1)

Hello,

My name's Kara-Sethyn (or Quentin IRL if you want), 25 yo and I'm a mechanical engineer. I'm french so sorry if my english is not perfect, thought it should be good enough to understand.

I heard for quite some time that participating in game jam was one of the best way to "force" yourself to learn how to make games, so I went on itch.io yesterday, looked at the list of the game jam, saw one called "My First Game Jam" and thought : sounds fun, let's go. Then I looked at my agenda and realized that I would be busy this week-end and next week-end. Crap. Well, I guess I'll just try to go as far as possible everyday after work and get something publishable by the end of the last week-end.

I've played pretty much every type of game. My prefered genres are 4X games, then RPG/JRPG then racing. I don't really know if I have much "favorites games". It's more like there are times when I want to play some kind of games. If I'm thinking about the games I prefer, that's mostly recent games: the Total War: Warhammer serie, the Xenoblade Chronicles serie, the Age of Wonders serie since the third game (didn't play before) then some rogue lite I played recently such as Skul: the Hero Slayer, Enter the Gungeon and Star Renegades. I like the feeling when I play Warhammer 40k: Gladius too and if I wanted to make a (big) game today, I think that would be my main inspiration.

I have pretty much zero game development experience. I think arround 5 years ago, maybe more, I played a little with RPG Maker but that's basically all (and I didn't go far). And I didn't like much RPG Maker. I mean, I knew that it was an engine made for a specific type of game but it felt restrictive (thought I wasn't using it to his max potential either). Anyway, I am pretty much level 0: I've never made a game, I can manage simple code but don't know any language well and I can't make art nor music (at least not right now). I guess I can manage with maths but that's not the main point when making games 😅

And so the goal for this jam is just to do something actually, to see the process to make game. The engine is not so important and the final game will most certainly be as simple as possible (I won't have time nor the abilities to make something complicated anyway). But I want to have something playable by the end of the jam (even if the game has a lifespan of arround 5 seconds 🤣).

I'm looking forward to struggle to make anything work during this jam. See u 👋

Hello,

I didn't have much time to work on the game jam last two weeks and most of this time was used to learn how to actualy create a simple game (I've done tutorials and such). I have made some really simple assets and have some kind of game concept but I didn't even start making the game itself, so I won't participate in the end. I'll make the game when I'll have some time though and continue learning afterwards.

Hi everyone, I've chosen to go by Morgan here, because I really like this name. While I don't have real coding or gamedev experience, back in the days I've taken part in free Pascal course and tried a little of Unity something like 10 years ago, nothing came out of it. Even though current time for industry seems hard, I've decided to start learning front-end and 2 weeks ago I've started dabbling with a little bit of gamedev, since this is where I feel I'd find the most joy.

My current engine of choice is Godot 4.2 and while GDScript is quite different from JavaScript the way of actually building something at early stage seems similiar enough to let me transfer some skills that I learned in that course. I found this game jam accidentaly while browsing other jams after deciding to take part in GMTK and Brackeys. While for the latter 2 I could plan days off work, this one is going to be full after hours project for me and even if I don't manage to complete it, it will be great warm up.

In recent times I haven't really played as much as back in the days, but from games that I played I really like Dark Souls series (Elden Ring is still ahead of me), Cult of the Lamb, Satisfactory and Valheim. I also enjoy some of the looter shooters, although most popular ones seem to rely too much on FOMO (love Destiny's gunplay however story currently can't really be experienced outside of YouTube). Of other things that I am passionate, I like fantasy and sci-fi books, and enjoy learning more about history, especially ancient history.

That's enough of me, good luck everyone and let's show something playable by the end :)