Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Dev Log] Little Red

A topic by scitydreamer created Jul 12, 2016 Views: 408 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

For the summer session of My First Game Jam, I decided to get out of my comfort zone of using RPG Maker and text game engines and I'm challenging myself to make something in Game Maker!

The game is about Little Red Riding Hood, who's trapped in a magical cursed forest ruled by a wolf. Thankfully she brought her absurdly powerful gun that has unlimited ammo, so maybe she can make it to her grandma's house in one piece. The game itself is a top-down shooter, and I'm honestly not sure how long it will be because I'm trying to figure out mechanics as I go.

This is a video of my progress so far! I've learned how to do moving and shooting (WASD for movement and arrow keys to shoot), transitions, and HP, but I need to figure out advanced enemy AI beyond "sit there and hope for Little Red to run into you".

And here is probably the only concept work that I did before the jam started!

Submitted

what's up i'm little red and i have....gun

excited abt this! good luck

Host

"who's trapped in a magical cursed forest ruled by a wolf"

me: yes

"she has a gun"

me: YES

i can't wait for this

Submitted

Day ???:

I took a day off to do some personal things. And to try to hack my Wii (I'm bad at homebrew). But I got back to working on this today and this now has checkpoints! And so there's those crossroads, which will lead to a non-linear map, which the checkpoints are meant to make your life easier. Like, conceptually I imagine a Zelda-ish map with a few teleporters scattered around, and all the teleporters lead to the final boss, aka, the wolf.

My agenda for the rest of the night is to draw out the map on paper and plan ahead for the next few days!

Submitted

I sure haven't updated this in a while! So, I spent like a full day trying to figure out how to make enemies shoot and NPCs talk when you get near them. The biggest roadblock was when enemy bullets stayed in place, which is obviously a huge problem as during testing I got stuck in a kill loop whenever I changed rooms. Turns out I checked a box I wasn't meant to check and that was like, 2 hours spent down the drain over a simple mistake. But anyway, some more screenshots!

You're gonna have to collect keys to activate this spinning gate at the end! There's actually just 3 in the game - I don't know why, but the counter adds two keys for each one picked up, which is a problem.

Submitted

I sure have been bad with updating my devlog, but uh, I've finished the game and submitted it last night because I was scared of sleeping past the deadline. Hooray!