Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Pug Wave Rider

A topic by rudaloo created Jul 19, 2018 Views: 407 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit)

Hi, my game is going to be called Pug Wave Rider! It's my first go at making a game, so the  goal for this gamejam will be to have an up a running game at the end.

The gameplay for the game is as follows. You play as Johnson the pug. What you have to do is score as MANY points as you can riding your jet surfboard. You do this by passing through point hoops, BUT you have to watch out and avoid all the obstacles. The more hoops you go through in a row the more your score multiplier goes up. Here's the catch though the obstacles will start coming in faster and faster!

I started with a different idea in mind. In the beginning you had to cross in front of the obstacles as close as you can without hitting them to get points. I decided to make the pivot mentioned above. I think it would cooler. Here's what it looked like.

https://i.gyazo.com/8611c357fa81335a24c69ff92ea0fc4f.gif

A lot of the inspiration for this game comes from Solipskier. Its an ios game thats super fast paced and fun.

What I did today was add the bonus multiplier by seeing how close the player gets to the obstacle, restarting the scene by pressing the space bar and I also got my first pug sprite! Tomorrows goals will be to will be to implement the hoops, as well as the obstacle speedup when going through hoops. I'll also widen up the play area as its a little narrow.

Below are sketches of game characters, obstacles as well as a sprite of Johnson.

Johnson The Pug

Johnson The Pug
Submitted(+1)

Day 8

I got some time to work on this today! I was able to get my point hoops into the game. I was also able to add some new sprites into the game. I updated the code to take care of the speed up and points aggregation. 

The goal for tomorrow will be to seperate out how close the obstacles and hoops can get to each other. They're all bundled up as it is right now. The next big part I plan to build out tomorrow will be the incoming object meter. It will tell the player the type of incoming object like green hoop, blue hoop, or obstacle by a color and a distance. For example an obstacle will show up as red with a countdown of how many meters left to get to the player.

Thanks for reading! If you guys have ideas let me know.

(1 edit)

Wow, that's some solid development - I love that water effect you got going on there

What are you using to build this game? 

Submitted

Thanks man, I'm using Unity to make the game. Credits for the water go to TimJonsson on deviant art! 

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 9

Made the game objects spawn so that they're not so close anymore. Also added bonuses the faster you're going and a points section to the right that tells you how many points the current hoop scored you.  

Tomorrow I want to get the following done

• Make a missile sprite
  • Add music
  • Add explosions

The other part of the game that I still need to create is the intro scene. I'll do that in 2 days after which building any of the stuff below would be extra

• Make the blue tunnel follow a sin/cos wave so that its a little wavy
  • Add the meters to go bar for incoming objects
  • Add a super hoop that's small and surrounded by obstacles but increases your speed by a lot

Submitted

Day 10

I got the following done

• Make missile sprite
  • Added Start Scene
  • Made explosion animation

I made a happy face missile :)

For the explosion I found a water metal slug explosion and used that

For tomorrow I want to do the following

• Add the incoming object meter
  • Find some open source tunes, or make my own, and put it into the game
Host(-1)

yooo this looks great! i can definitely see this as an addicting mobile game. keep up the good work.

Submitted (1 edit)

Finished you guys, added some music, and explosion sfx, and a little surprise if you go fast enough!
https://rudaloo.itch.io/pug-wave-rider