Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

motivation

A topic by TobyWongGames created Jun 23, 2021 Views: 186 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+2)

this is my first game jam, and i'm not really skilled in art, programming, or even coming up with ideas. i thought this jam would be a good idea because 14 days is more than enough time to complete a game with my limited free time, but i have a feeling i'm going to start making for a few days, the project starts slowing to a crawl because of technical errors or things not making sense or the game idea falling apart, and i quit. how do people stay motivated while making games, and how can i apply that to myself?

(+2)

I stay motivated by knowing that I will run into issues. When I do, I give it a solid attempt, but after a certain amount of time I either take a break or work on something else. 

You will always hit issues, when you do, what you do and the frame of mind at which you perceive the issue is what will continue to motivate you.

Host(+2)

@ac-cool-breeze really nailed it! Game dev will be hard and you will always run into problems--and honestly being able to approach these problems with this understanding and patience will help you through projects.

That said, I actually want to add that it's important to understand that "quitting" is also perfectly okay--when you do it for good reason. A lot of people make demos or small games in this jam and realize that the game idea they had isn't working out. However, having a failed project is often a good stepping stone for a better one and you carry that experience with you. Dev will never be completely easy but it will get easier with time--and in my opinion it also greatly helps to make the kind of games you really love or are passionate about. Even in the dullest or most frustrating points it's important to remember why you want to make a game in the first place. And at worst? If you find the process too frustrating or difficult then it's healthy to recognize that too and maybe try some other creative outlets. At the end of the day making games should be fun and healthy.

This rambled a bit but either way I'm wishing you luck in the jam!