Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Free From Dungeon: Horror Strategy Game?

A topic by StoryKnight created Jun 29, 2021 Views: 214 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(1 edit) (+2)

CONCEPT:

You play as a block man who has to escape the jailer in a third-person Slenderman: Eight Pages meets Dead By Daylight horror game — with major turned down graphics and less fun.

I wanted to have an auto-generative "room" system that sectioned the terrain into blocks. Each block is separated with a door. The player has to look for "keys" that spawn randomly within the dungeon (10 in total) in order to escape. There are only 3 keys in existence at any time, and when one is found another random one is generated. The player can also destroy or reconstruct a door to force the jailer to find an alternative route to the player (if they reconstruct a door that makes it impossible for the hunter to get to the player, it's game over). When all 10 keys are found, the player can "escape" onto the next floor, which is really just another auto-generated dungeon.

PROGRESS (days 1-4?):

I admit I decided to join this jam a little late, never did one of these before. I started to use the Kenney game assets for that game jam, but just gave up because it's like, two months away. Then I started to work on this one and used their FREE assets. Here's what I have completed:

- I have two room "types" that can appear. One is just a bunch of walls, the other has some obstacles. There can be any number of squareable(?) rooms (e.g. 3x3, 4x4)

- The basic player movement with camera, and a flashlight both work. The player has to shine the flashlight on the key to pick them up.

- Basic "follow the player" AI concept works for the jailer. Learned how to use a dynamic NavMesh for this. I want to use blender to make a more scary "jailer" but that's for another day. The gameplay loop revolves around abusing these doors to kite the jailer, since they should be faster.

What I have to do next:

- The jailer knows the player's location at all times. So I have to have to create a "known position" based on the player's actions. I'm thinking based on if they sprint or use a flashlight? Also have to check if the player's position is possible to reach.

- No idea how to make the jailer patrol around the map, rather than chase.

- I want to create an interior "jail cell" in the middle of the map where the player starts, as kind of an HQ before rounds.

- I have no UI or sounds or music right now. No title screen or anything.

- The key spawns are super bugged and don't work.

- The NavMesh generates based on the meshes of objects, not their colliders, which I bet will be an issue later.

- I have to make animations of the player and jailer, on top of actually making my own object assets. The kenney assets have let me skip out on some of that, and let me focus on just code. No experience with much else, on top of music or art design.

Thanks for checking this out!

(+1)

DAY 5:

I fixed the issue with the keys — now they spawn randomly in the dungeon, with only three in existence tops at any time. On top of that I started to design the jailer A.I, modeled with a state machine. Basically, there are different "states" that the A.I can have, and its behavior has to model that.

Where α is whenever the player (1) finds a key (2) runs around for a while or (3) when all keys are found, which is kind of a special case where the A.I will never patrol or flee. β is the funny situation for when the jailer is blinded when on patrol. This might be overkill, but it does help me at least visualize how to code this up. I also don't have experience drawing a state machine, so there's that. Didn't do a whole lot but daydream.

Love the concept. What engine are you using?

Submitted

I'm pretty sure it's Unity

Thanks! Yup, it's Unity.