Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Devlog for untitled game #1 - demotivation, tribulation, and procrastination

A topic by TobyWongGames created Jun 30, 2021 Views: 218 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 3

this isn't really a devlog, more of a cry for help. on day 3 i got  *most* of the movement code done, but the dash i implemented broke the D button for some reason, so i decided to take a break and start up a new Terraria modded playthrough, which i spent the rest of my free time doing. on day 4, i decided i wouldn't work on the character movement and instead on making a moving platform, so i followed a tutorial (it didn't work.) having already spent 20-40 minutes on it, i took another "break" (started procrastinating). how should i stay motivated? sorry for having so much trouble and asking so many questions, this is my first game jam, my first game, and i had only followed a few brief tutorials before this, i guess i should have prepared better. oh, and, how do i not procrastinate? thanks in advance for those who answer.

Submitted (2 edits)

Hey! This one is also my first game and game Jam. I recomend you to try working on something small, something in which you can progress fast. Not too much mecanics, not too much ambition. Just, something cool and funny for your first game. Altough, It can be funny or not, it doesn't matter, the important thing here is to learn. Good luck dude. :D

alright, but i'm already working on something extremely simple  and small and short, but it's REALLY not working out for me. also, your game is already in a playable state with good graphics, well i'm still working on the movement. i know you're also using Godot, so it's likely that you were just better prepared or better in general than me. :( i'll try tho, and do you have any advice for procrastination? please, as i type this i'm procrastinating

Submitted

I think that the solution for the procrastion is your motivation in makIng games. You know, procrastination is something psicological, so, you need psicological solution. Try asking yourself 'Why I am doing games?', 'What does this project mean to me?'.

Uhh, and also, try to remove all those sorces of procrastination. For example, I'm a little bit addicted when we talk about using YouTube. How do I face that problem? Removing YouTube. Those thinks help a lot.

(+1)

thanks! also, how can i block websites like youtube or reddit? thanks

Submitted

There's no problem! And talking about blocking sites, I do not know, 'cause all my procrastination is on my phone. But i'm sure there are ways to block them. Good luck bro. :D

Submitted(+1)

I can only speak for myself, but I do procrastinate a looooot... so... in my experience you have to find the reason for it. For me it's fear, overwhelmedness in front of all the tasks I have to do. Not knowing where to begin and where to end.

So my tip is:

Make a plan! A realistic plan. List all the things (yeah all of them, so you know excactly where you stand) you want to do and what progress you made with them. Cross the things you did from the list, it will give you a  sense of achievement and retain a positive attitude (aka motivation). If your stuck on one item of your task list, leave it for now and make something else. Finish small part - goals.

Maybe download some project management software. It helps to have an overview rather than shooting into the blue. Not knowing if you're ever gonna get anywhere. I use the app "Project manager" because it's simple and fast and doesn't steal me more time than it gives. I'm addicted to crossing out things from that list now.

PS: I was procrastinating as I wrote this. But not with my game, but with my master thesis, lol...

Submitted

Those are good tips. I also use them. For managment, I use Notion. It's amazing!

oh... i'm using milanote for project management, but checking boxes hasn't really motivated me because i haven't finished any tasks yet. thanks for the advice though!

Submitted

I know what you mean, which is why I am really glad that in my app there's the option to put a percent completed value or a x/y completed (for example 3/10 scenes complete) and it updates on the percentage of the wohle project. Also you could break the tasks into smaller ones. Even if they might sound trivial then. Hope you find what works for you!

and... i just spent my whole day playing celeste. this project is probably doomed.